Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: DNR cites 144 with baiting;  (Read 1525 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
DNR cites 144 with baiting; seizes firearms, bows

In the aftermath of this year’s firearms deer hunting season, there was indeed a downside. The number of citations issued and also a number of firearms seized. The Deparment of Natural Resources issued the following report:

Conservation officer weekly activity reports confirm what officials with the DNR already suspected: deer baiting was pervasive during the 2011 big game season.

DNR conservation officers issued 144 citations, issued 24 warnings and seized 134 firearms/bows in baiting relation investigations during the 2011 bow, firearms and muzzleloader seasons. It’s the highest number of baiting citations issued during the deer hunting seasons since the DNR began tracking these violations in 1991.

“It seems that every year our officers are spending more and more time responding to complaints about baiting or discovering it while on patrol,” said Lt. Col. Rodmen Smith, DNR Enforcement assistant director. “It’s become a very common violation.”

Deer baiting is strategically placing a pile of food near deer stands or clearings with the intent of luring a deer into close hunting range. It has been illegal to bait deer in Minnesota since 1991.

Conservation Officer Marty Stage of Ely said he spent a lot of the big game season “chasing violators illegally baiting deer. The practice has certainly not gone away or apparently even slowed,” Stage said.

The fine for illegal baiting is $300, plus $80 or so in court costs. Another $500 can be tagged on for restitution if a deer is seized. Guns may be confiscated as well.

“It is pretty sad when the rifle that has been handed down for generations is lost forever due to unethical hunting,” said Conservation Officer Darin Fagerman of Grand Marais. “Grandpa might not be too happy about that, either.”

Smith said he is hopeful that by releasing the numbers on illegal baiting activities, it sends a message that Minnesota values it natural resources and there is a price for engaging in this activity.

Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
Just for the sake of debate how many of you feel food plots are baiting as well?? I myself do not feel this way, but I know some do. Let us all here your thoughts on the subject.
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Offline Joe@deerhunters

• Outdoorsman
I will answer it with a question. Is eating at the same restuarant the same as sharing a plate? Which way is more likely to spread a disease?  That is just from one issue regarding baiting vs. a wildlife food plot. There are many more differences in my opinion.

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
   So just to make it clear for all Joe, you feel, as I do, that food plots are not like baiting.

And for those that argue that only the well to do and land owners do food plots you are on the wrong track. The DNR even does food plots on several WMA's. If you check into it many farmers will donate you a bag of seed or the use of equipment/time. Many Co-ops will donate a portion of fertilizer and/or chemical to control weeds. Many organizations will donate cash for a plot. You can do a decent size plot that helps all the wildlife through the winter fairly inexpensive if you put in the time and effort and find the help and resources to do it.
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I guess the way I see it, baiting is just that, baiting a deer or group of deer so you can shoot one, then the baiting/feeding stops.  Food plots are used year round and not only by deer.  If you plan them right, the plot would be one of the first areas to green up in the spring, providing high protein feed throughout the summer and well into the fall.  Yes, you can hunt by them and you probably will have a good chance to shoot a doe while doing so.  However, if it's a big buck you are after, you better have other plans.  The main hunting advantage to plots is keeping doe groups in the area.  The more doe groups you have, the more bucks will come sniffing around.

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
hunting animals over their food of choice has been happening since the fist cave man walked away from his cave. many states allow baiting and you don't see boon and crocket adding a * to those trophy's in their books.. so until all the states get on the same page and all the trophy registration people take a side..  I don't see an argument to be had..  either way.. with a plot or with a bag of corn.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
hunting animals over their food of choice has been happening since the fist cave man walked away from his cave. many states allow baiting and you don't see boon and crocket adding a * to those trophy's in their books.. so until all the states get on the same page and all the trophy registration people take a side..  I don't see an argument to be had..  either way.. with a plot or with a bag of corn.

X2!
Going South......in a manner of speaking!

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
food plots are not the same as baiting. the food plot may  be grown for the same reason as you would put out a bait pile but it will be there after the hunt is over.
aside from that food plots are specificly allowed by mn regulations. if they were to ban food plots and allow baiting then yhere would be cause for controversy.