Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: MNO Food Plot 2012  (Read 2402 times)

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Well its really that time of year again. Time to get to work on food plots! Last year I was robbed on time. I just didn't get the work done due to work but this year I have my time back so we are back at it.

Planning to add a couple new plots this year that will consist of planted trails and two new spots that we cleared out.

We are still in the planning stages. Over the winter we made a map/plan of what we wanted to do but since we have been out there we have almost changed our mind on everything that we had decided on this winter.

Here is a picture of a trail we cut. Take a look at the thickness on the right side. That will give you an idea of what this looked like before the cut. I really should of done before and afters but it was raining when we were cutting and I just wanted to get it done. I was soaking wet and not in the mood for pictures:

Here is another section of the trail:

Here is a couple pics of a new area we are clearing for a new food plot:

If you look on the egdes of where we cleared you can get an idea of what it looked like prior to clearing. This is a small plot that will eventually adjoin a larger plot but for this year they will be two separate.

There are two trails that we cut that adjoin the plots now... here is a view of one of the trails leading into the larger plot:

And then as you walk down that very short trail it opens to this:

Stay tuned... this should be a fun project!

:happy1:
« Last Edit: April 04/09/12, 06:54:18 PM by MNO »

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Due to wet and soft ground, I'm usually really late with plot work.  This year may be different because of the warm weather.  I usually plant clover in early June and any brasicas in August.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
Looking real nice.

Ive done a lot of clearing as well. I disced it all up and am just waiting for weeds to regrow to spray em. Ill be planting crimson clover and oats for a summer plot then discing everything down for fall brassicas and rye combos.

What ya gonna plant and when????

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I got 3 small plots worked up yesterday. 2 will get a good dose of clover. The other one will get some alfalfa on top and a garden on the lower part. This plot goes from sand to over a foot of heavy black loam.
The big field will wait till the rye  is big enough to plow down, then get a clover alfalfa mix with a patch of buckwheat in the middle.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
hoping I can get out this weekend and mow some of my areas.. I'll try to take a few pictures prior to mowing.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline MNRealtree

• Outdoorsman
I have 2 smaller plots planted with clover which feeds the deer spring - early fall. My 2 large plots have 6-8 corn rows through the middle surrounded by turnips. The deer love the sweet corn in the fall and wont touch the turnips until the ground freezes, it takes the deer all winter to eat all the turnips. I like this combination as it provides food for the deer all year long.

I have been planting the corn and turnips in June.
Winner of the 2011 Ice fishing challenge!!