Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Plot suggestions  (Read 20760 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The pictures make me wish I had started planting plots sooner.  I'm heading up tomorrow to spray them for the second time.  I will be planting soon after the 4th.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
I just mowed half my plots to get them ready to plant into brassicas mid july. There gonna be planted in strips half brassicas and half rye, clover, oats, peas and ground hog radish

Im glad there finally eating in the plots it took them a while to figure it out

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
Decided to clear out my little 4 wheeler trail to my stand and also made a alternate ninja route to the stand.

This is my MN property first food plot there ever

Before

After

Nice and thick under story on edge of plot

Ill be clearing out a few feet of trees on each side of the plot to let more light in. Soil test in waiting for results then amending soil and planting brassicas in 1/2 the plot

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
What are you going to plant?  Are you planning to work the soil or just nuke the weeds and broadcast extra seeds?
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
We're still bouning around ideas.  Whatever we plant will be broadcast on top of the dead and dying vegitation.  I mix the seed with fertilizer to get a more even planting.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I already have groung hog radishes.  We're planning on mixxing purple top turnips with them and planting them in the center of the main plot.  End of august we will plant the outer part of the main plot with rye grain.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline proangler16

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Just a suggestion but I've got an uncle that plants Rye in late August that has been working real good for him on his plot for several years.  It comes up real nice and green and stays green in September and October just as all the other plants are dying.  He even gets Bear in on it eating the nice green sprouts. 
"Give a man a fish and he has food for a day; teach him how to fish and you can get rid of him for the entire weekend." ~Zenna Schaffer

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
You are right about the winter wheat.  It really brings em in.

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
Im gonna disk and plant half the plot to brassicas next week, then august Ill plant the other half to a rye grain mix

Offline The Leacher

• Outdoorsman
Heres where Im at now

Valley plot brassicas on right and fresh planted rye grain,oats,peas,red clover and ground hog radish in the dirt spot
Look closely and u can see the little hill in the back left that is planted in white clover

Trail plot same plantings

Top plot
EW screen planted on sides, brassicas on right and rye mix in the remaining plot

To my surprise there already loving the brassicas

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
So far things don't look too good for my plots.  I planted about three weeks ago and we haven't had a bit of rain since.  I hope the seeds are just waiting for a nice spate of cool wet weather.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
yup.. my plots have kinda stalled out here also.. they were coming gang busters but have since stalled in the "dryer" areas.. the lower spots new swamp edge that usually die and don't do much have done ok.. unfortunatly I don't usually put much seed there as it usually fails.. it tends to end up there when I turn around. 

the land kicked my butt this weekend.. nail gun died.. hurt my back... called it the day early
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"