Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: frost seeding  (Read 1881 times)

Offline jkjkoda

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Are we hunting or fishing today?
Just did this last weekend first time doing this was the best info I found out there!
If you live in an area where the surface layer of soil freezes during winter, you can save fuel and equipment costs by frost-seeding a portion of your plots. Frost seeding involves spreading seed on frozen ground and allowing the freeze-thaw-freeze-thaw cycle that occurs as spring approaches to provide good seed-to-soil contact. When moisture in the top layer of soil freezes, ice expands upward, carrying soil with it. This process, called “heaving,” helps work small seeds like clover and alfalfa into the soil, the same way light disking or cultipacking creates good seed-to-soil contact. When early spring temperatures are optimal, the seeds will germinate.

This works best when there is minimal to no competing vegetation in the food plot, and you achieve this by spraying the field with the appropriate herbicide the fall before you frost seed, or by frost seeding a field that was planted in an annual the year before, such as wheat or oats.

You can frost-seed cool-season perennials such as alfalfa, red and white clover, trefoil and chicory, and cool-season annuals like oats, wheat or rye. Do not frost seed warm-season annuals such as corn or soybeans, and while brassicas can be frost-seeded, I prefer to plant them later in the summer. You can frost-seed a new plot or frost-seed cool-season species into an existing plot that is thinning.

Has anyone had any luck with frost seeding?? :archery: :archery:
Are we hunting or fishing today?

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Never tried it.  I didn't spray and kill any of my plots last fall so I will just wait and do the mow and throw technique.  Mow, spray with roundup, throw seeds before a rain.  Worked great for me last year.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Goosepond Monster

• Outdoorsman
  • Easy Livin'
    • Hoosier Hunters
I put down some clover and plan on putting down some chicory as well.  It was my first time trying it, so we'll see how it works.

Offline nic53

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I've always been told not to throw your seed down until after most the snow melts. Not sure cuz of run off or what's the reasoning though. But I have done it and it works.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Some varieties of seed are not as cold hardy.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.