Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ask a conservation officer  (Read 795 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
                          Ask a conservation officer:

ATV rules try to keep up with changes.

Q: I see that the rules defining the difference between a Class I and Class II All-Terrain Vehicle (ATV) have changed. Raising the weight limit by 200 pounds moves a large number of side-by-side machines (likely the majority of the machines now in use) from Class II to Class I. Why the change?

A: Currently, around the nation, there is an effort to standardize ATV /Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles (ROV)/Side-by-Side definitions. In recent years the DNR divisions of Parks & Trails and Enforcement, and various ATV manufacturers, have worked together in an effort to establish definitions of machines (using weight, width, etc.).  ATV definitions being used by neighboring states are being looked at as well because there are certainly a good number of riders who operate their machines on both sides of the border. These considerations must be weighed against the type of terrain and makeup of trail systems to provide opportunities for riders while keeping safety and  conservation risks in mind.  We are confident that if any definition changes come forward this legislative session, they will help to clarify things for owners/operators while hopefully ending the current cycle of changes to the rules.
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again