Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Help planning a "woods" food plot!  (Read 2454 times)

Offline ahenke919

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum so bare with me.  I have been wanting to start growing a food plot at my cabin that is in Remer, MN, near Leach Lake, for a few years but never got around to actually doing it.  2016 is the year I am finally going to attempt to make a food plot near my favorite hunting spot.  Since I don't have any experience any help would be wonderful!!  How big to make it, what type of seeds to use for the area, when is a good time to start clearing and planting, any other tips, etc etc..

Thanks for any help!!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
ahenke919,
First of all welcome to the site.  The first thing would be to identify the location.  I assume, being you have been thinking about it for a while, you have a spot in mind.  Pick a place that is not too far from bedding areas and an area you leave as a sanctuary for the deer.  Also, it would be nice to be able to expand the plot if you feel the need to do so.  Next is to map out the plot. By this I mean don't make it round, square or rectangle.  Two or three "areas" connected by narrower clearings provide more security for the deer, multiple hunting locations and the opportunity to plant two or three different sources of food. Think early season, late season etc.  The time to start is now.  Winter is the best time to figure this out because you don't have to contend with all the green summer growth and bugs.  You also can see what the area you intend to use and the surrounding area will look like during hunting season.  It is easy to mark the area, clear all deadfalls and cut brush at this time.  Depending on what you have for tools will determine how you prepare the ground for the plot.  Tractor, ATV etc.  That is a topic for later as you will have your hands full for now. Good luck

Part of a woods plot - taken early fall

Same spot, later this fall

Well used in woods plot

Example of irregular woods plot

Different area of the same woods plot gives some idea of what
I described as irregular, connecting plots
« Last Edit: December 12/22/15, 08:51:15 AM by deadeye »
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Welcome to the site. Do you bow or rifle hunt or both?

If you have a spot picked out, now would be a good time to clear some trees. As you clear brush and limbs try to position the piles so the deer are diverted to where you want them to come in. You can also use the brush to screen your stand entrance if you hunt it. You want to have good sun for at least 1/2 day. Depending on the equipment you have, a 100x100 (1/4 acre) is a good start. If you plan to shoot over it, use a longer and narrower one with a bend in it. If you have a relationship with a local farmer, or someone with equipment you may be able to bribe them into helping with the heavy work.  ;)

The prime seed for annual plots is a brassica mix. Turnip, rutabaga, rape, etc. A clover blend from the local feed store is also a good choice.

You should get the ground worked as soon as it thaws and keep it worked every couple of weeks till you plant in June or July. Use roundup to help if you want and fertilize according to recommendations on your seed package.

Good luck on the plot and send in some pics if you get a chance.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
ray634,
We were writing this at the same time but have the same ideas. 

ahenke919,
What we are saying here is do some planning prior to just clearing a place in the woods.  Good luck with your plot.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline ahenke919

Awesome thanks for the help guys it is much appreciated!  I look forward to starting this project!

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Thanks for pointing me to this article Deadeye!
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN