Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Need license fee increase  (Read 3098 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
 DNR staff highlight need for Minn. license fee increase.

Today at 10:17 a.m.

:coffee: ......
THIEF RIVER FALLS, Minn.—A small audience gathered Thursday night in Thief River Falls to hear area and regional staff from the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources make their case for increasing hunting and fishing license fees.

:police: .....
Doug Franke, area wildlife supervisor for the DNR in Thief River Falls, led the presentation. Other DNR staff on hand were Phil Talmage, area fisheries supervisor for the DNR in Baudette, Minn.; Pat Znajda, District 1 enforcement supervisor; John Williams, Northwest Region wildlife supervisor, Bemidji; and Becky Ekstein, Thief River Falls assistant area wildlife manager.

:popcorn: .......
The info session wasn't a public meeting, as such, but instead was set up for area sportsmen's group. The Pembina Trail Toms chapter of the National Wild Turkey Federation hosted the presentation.

confused-3316.gif .....
The half-dozen sportsmen who attended also had an opportunity to ask questions about the proposal during the informal presentation.

:huh: ..........
Franke used a Powerpoint presentation filled with charts and graphs to explain the need for a fee increase. Without the influx of new money, the DNR's Game and Fish Fund is expected to go into the red by June 2019 and be more than $7.3 million in the hole by June 2021.

"We're basically going to call this a 'lights-on' bill," Franke said. "It gives us funding to keep everything current we have now and not lose anything."

Dedicated account

The Game and Fish Fund is a dedicated account primarily funded by hunting and fishing license dollars and federal excise taxes on hunting and fishing equipment.

"It's literally how we fund the fish and wildlife program and a large chunk of enforcement funding,' Franke said.

As time goes on, when incoming money stays flat and more money goes out, the fund depletes.

Franke said the DNR is working to keep costs in check by holding positions open and cutting back on fieldwork such as creel surveys and other management efforts. At the same time, though, operating costs have increased, and emerging issues such as flooding, wildlife diseases and invasive species have diverted existing resources.

The DNR's Northwest Region alone is down :cry: nine wildlife positions that aren't being filled, and enforcement has 20 vacancies across the state, increasing the time it takes for conservation officers to respond to incidents and curbing their ability to enforce the state's game and fish laws.

"When we start losing those staff, the phone, trust me, it doesn't get picked up quite as often or quite as quickly," Franke said. "It hurts, and we try to respond as much as we can, but it slows everything down.:

Williams, the DNR wildlife supervisor, said even with a fee increase, he won't be able to fill open positions. At best, he'll maintain the status quo.

"Those are the kind of positions we're having to make right now," he said. "It's a big deal."

Statewide, Williams said there are 26 vacancies in wildlife and another 17 in fisheries.

The Environment and Natural Resources Trust Fund, generated by proceeds from the Minnesota State Lottery, can't be used as a substitute for traditional, license-generated funding but can only supplement existing work. Ditto for Legacy Amendment dollars generated by the small sales tax increase Minnesota voters approved in 2008 dedicating funding for natural resources, parks and the arts, Franke said.

"It's one of those funds we have access to quite a bit of money but it can't replace what we're doing" with traditional license revenue funds, he said. "And if you have fewer staff, trying to implement contracts in the field becomes difficult. You can't ask for funding you have a difficult time spending."

The DNR's message: "Hunters and anglers will lose."

Proposed hikes

Among the increases the DNR is proposing are the following:

• Individual angling licenses would increase from $22 to $25.

• Nonresident annual fishing licenses would increase from $45 to $51.

• Resident deer licenses would increase to $34 from the current $30.

• Nonresident deer licenses would increase to $185 from the current $165.

The increase, which would result in an estimated $6.1 million in new fishing license revenue and $2.8 million in new hunting license revenue, would stabilize the Game and Fish Fund into the year 2021, the DNR estimates. That, in turn, would allow the DNR to better manage fish and wildlife populations and do necessary habitat work on the state's 1,400 wildlife management areas.

Across the board, the increase is about 12 percent.

For context, Franke said a $25 fee to fish for a whole year and $34 to hunt for the season is a good deal compared to spending $33 for a Twins game, $50 to $185 for a Vikings game and $43 to $115 for a Minnesota Wild hockey game.

"Hunting and fishing is a pretty cheap date out there right now," he said. "It's a pretty good deal. It's important to us that we provide a fee-type service to people that's competitive. It's important people get the best bang for their buck. We're not in the high end of things by any means."

The proposal hinges on approval by the Minnesota Legislature, and if it fails to pass, the DNR says, there will be consequences.

To contact legislators about the fee increase, go to www.gis.leg.mn/OpenLayers/districts. More information about DNR fish and wildlife work is available at www.mndnr.gov/licensedollarsatwork.

Enlarge .............
« Last Edit: February 02/25/17, 05:09:51 PM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
    • www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
Fee increase isn't a big deal for what they are proposed to be. But like all forms of government if they would cut some of the crap out they do that is not needed it would go further than fee increases. I also believe Mn nonresident fees are a screaming cheap bargain compared to other states non resident fees!!
Shane Augeson
Wallhangers Taxidermy Studio
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
www.wallhangerstaxidermystudio.com
320-269-3337

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Auggie, you hit the nail right in the head there!
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
Wouldn't bother me if they raise the fees.  Cheap entertainment.  I would also like to use 2 lines fishing in the summer and I would pay an extra fee to do it.

Offline Rebel SS

• Master Outdoorsman
  • "Seems like time is here and gone".....Doobie's
Gotta say that proposed boat registration is too danged high...

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Fee increase isn't a big deal for what they are proposed to be. But like all forms of government if they would cut some of the crap out they do that is not needed it would go further than fee increases. I also believe Mn nonresident fees are a screaming cheap bargain compared to other states non resident fees!!

In my state IL. the non resident fishing license is charged based upon the same fee charged to an IL Res in the visitor from his state. 
« Last Edit: February 02/26/17, 10:05:15 AM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young

In my state IL. the non resident fishing license is charged based upon the same fee charged to an IL Res in the visitor from his state.
That's a good idea Lee. What do they call that? There is a term for it just can't spit it out
Shane Augeson
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
320-269-3337

Offline ray634

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

That's a good idea Lee. What do they call that? There is a term for it just can't spit it out

RECIPROCITY

Offline Auggie

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Start'em young
Yes, thank you. I would have laid awake half the night trying to think of it!!!!!!
Shane Augeson
9040 40th St NW
Milan MN 56262
320-269-3337

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I thinks it's crazy to give the DNR more money to squander.  They need to trim the fat and live within their means.  I'm sure they will make good choices like some more boat washing stations.  My guess is they will come with a fleet of dock, raft, and duck washing stations next.  Didn't we just vote for increased funding a few years ago?  Maybe they should quit pissing away that.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
I am with the General on this issue. They need to quit wasting money first. I think the snowmobile and ATV increases are nuts. They don't hardly do crap for maintaining atv trails. My suggestion is if they want more money convince the legislature to put the sales tax from sporting goods towards the DNR instead of the general fund.
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline hawg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
+1, cut the overhead and waste first!
I've been your age, you never been mine!

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
Been buying the non-resident yearly license for 40+ years & the cost doesn't really bother me as I get to use mine a lot more than others do. I do have to agree with the others about how that money is used though. They could probably start with cutting some positions & wages in St. Paul.
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
 :censored: :doah: :bonk: i'm truely offended by you guys thinking that there's waste, overhead and foolish spending at any government agency!!!!!!!!!! :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll: :laughroll:
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

I  would call it: "What's Good For Da Goose Is Good For Da Gandar."

Many BWCA Reports

Offline LPS

• Master Outdoorsman
I did not read down all of the way on the list.  The snowmobile one is quite an increase.  I just use mine to go back and forth to the fishhouse.  Maybe a ride on the river a time or two. 

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes, I think that one is getting a little extreme. Especially when they just added the trail sticker side of it a few years back.
Hey look your bobber is up!