Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Lee Needs Yur Help please!  (Read 2142 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Lee needs your help to help you and the folks in North East Minnesota

If you've sent this letter post on this thread that you've done this thanks and God Bless you for helping! :bow:

Subject: Please send letters on land withdrawal

:coffee:
Please copy and paste the following letter to comment on the USFS land withdrawal from future mining. Sign your name to the bottom. Thanks. ~Lee

Send to: comments-eastern-superior@fs.fed.us

Subject: Reverse Action to Pursue Widespread Mineral Withdrawal

Dear U.S. Forest Service ("USFS") and Bureau of Land Management ("BLM") -

A poll was conducted by Public Opinion Strategies of 400 registered voters in Cook, Koochiching, Itasca, St. Louis and Lake Counties of northeastern Minnesota. The survey asked questions on support or opposition to copper/nickel mining in northeast Minnesota.

By large margins northeastern Minnesotans support the development of new copper/nickel mines and oppose new federal restrictions on mining throughout the region.

By greater than a 3-1 margin survey respondents support environmentally-responsible mining in the region. Additionally, by more than 2-1, respondents support the building of new copper/nickel mines and believe copper/nickel mining can be done in an environmentally and responsible way. More than 60 percent support the Twin Metals underground copper-nickel project.

The survey also shows strong opposition to federal agency actions being sought by anti-mining organizations that would restrict future development of federal minerals in the region and block all future mining projects.

70% of those surveyed support continuing to allow access to federally owned minerals in the region

60% oppose actions by the federal government to prohibit all future mining in the region's Superior National Forest

66% oppose any actions by the Obama Administration to permanently withdraw federal lands and minerals in northeastern Minnesota from future development.

More than 80 percent of those surveyed support the process of allowing copper-nickel projects to be developed and submitted for 'rigorous state and federal environmental review.'

Several informative questions were asked on the survey.

Potential copper/nickel mining proposals in Minnesota should be allowed to go through the rigorous state and federal environmental review process, and granted permits if environmental protection standards are met. 81% agreed.

Potential copper/nickel mining projects are to inherently harmful and risky to the environment that such projects should be prohibited. 18% disagreed.

Potential copper/nickel mining projects should be allowed within the boundaries of the Superior National Forest, but outside of the Boundary Waters Canoe Area, if those projects meet all state and federal environmental laws and regulations. 64% agreed.

Potential copper‐nickel mining projects are so risky they should be prohibited within the boundaries of the Superior National Forest. Only 33% agreed.

Most telling about this survey is that the anti-mining crowd is opposed to ALL mining in northeast Minnesota. That includes taconite mining which has been a big part of our economy since the 1950s.

37% would support prohibiting all future mining in the Superior National Forest

60% oppose such actions.

Reverse action to pursue widespread mineral withdrawal from the Superior National Forest.
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
I done my duty and sent it in. Only takes 3 minutes.

Who will be next? We appreciate  your help :happy1:

PS. Don't forget to sign it :bonk:
« Last Edit: March 03/28/17, 02:52:56 PM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Online glenn57

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2015 deer contest champ!!!
Glenn's union has been leading the charge on getting this mining going for 4 years or more.
2015 deer slayer!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Glenn's union has been leading the charge on getting this mining going for 4 years or more.

Cool! :happy1:

If you could just copy sign & send that letter along with others here It would help. Tanks in advance for sending that letter if you will. Who else will do the same? :scratch:

Many BWCA Reports

Offline dew2

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm a active member of Friends of the Boundary Waters.First trip in the BWCA was 1967,then 68,70,76,80 I quit going because of the destruction !
 I watched it deterorate from human trash! Portages in 67 where HARD to find 12  inch wide animal trails by 1976 they looked like city parks trails.The polution from mining is horrible!! Go to Colorado and look at trout streams that had BIG fish and now>Well not now but early 70s when I lived there the streams I read of in outdoorlife,Field and Stream when young were DEAD cause of  mining polution! Yah screw all nature for a few bucks! When its gone its gone! it dwindles every year!  WE'll soon be a barron landscape where no one can experience the outdoor life!
 Come on fellors we're outdoors people NOT politicians>> out to rape,steal,profit till its gone!!
http://www.friends-bwca.org/
« Last Edit: March 03/28/17, 03:30:31 PM by dew2 »
Keeping America clean and beautiful is a one mans job,Mine

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
 Mining and tourism can co-exist  :happy1:                                 

Mining $81,500 vs. tourism $18,000 :scratch:

Submitted by admin on Mon, 04/24/2017 - 09:19
by Tom Coombe

Boasting wages more than four times that of employment in the tourism industry, mining jobs remain “the cornerstone of the northeastern Minnesota economy,” according to a study commissioned by a pro-mining organization.
With mining and tourism often painted as rivals in the ongoing contentious debate over proposed copper-nickel mining projects, a study completed by North Dakota-based Praxis Strategy Group concludes that both can co-exist with mining jobs having a much greater impact on the regional economy.
The study was paid for by Mining Minnesota, a group working to advance projects such as those proposed by PolyMet and Twin Metals Minnesota, and its executive director hailed its findings in a news release issued Tuesday.

“Mining and tourism are so often positioned as adversaries,” said Frank Ongaro, Mining Minnesota Executive Director. “The results of the Praxis study confirm the Duluth-Arrowhead region depends heavily on success in both industries. Mining provides the high-paying industrial jobs we need, and tourism creates an appealing quality of life for both visitors and residents.”

Among the most notable findings in the study include data showing the average mining job providing an annual salary of $81,500, with 5,140 mining jobs in the region.
The research also shows the mining industry has an impact on 9,446 jobs across all sectors of the northeastern Minnesota economy, with an average wage of $68,444, and that without mining, northeastern Minnesota would lose many jobs in health care, retail, government, construction and tourism.
“If you take mining jobs and delete those from the region’s economy, there’s a ripple effect,” said Mark Schill, Vice President for Research at Praxis Strategy Group and author of the study. “This mining activity supports many jobs in health care, rail transportation, retail and other industries.”

In contrast, tourism provides about 6,400 jobs across the Arrowhead, many part-time or seasonal, with an average salary of $18,000.
Ongaro said the results show that mining jobs provide a salary “well above the living wage guideline for a family of four in Northeastern Minnesota. These high-paying jobs improve quality of life for workers, giving them the opportunity to go out with their families and enjoy the outdoor amenities that make our region a great place to live.”
The study, which encompassed seven regional counties, showed that northeastern Minnesota’s economy has “lagged” both in jobs and economic input, has failed to keep pace with regional peers and that per capita income in the regions’ metropolitan counties falls below the national average.
“I’d say looking at least the last 15 years we saw pretty flat job growth,” said Schill. “It’s not a dire situation, but compared to regional peers that are doing well, those places are succeeding in ways this region is not.”

Schill added that the region’s economy “is not creating enough value for residents, and improving the economic future of the region should be a top priority. High-quality jobs in mining represent a tremendous opportunity to create that value and sustain the future.”
The study is released amid proposals that could block copper-nickel mining exploration, perhaps for up to 20 years, on wide swaths of federal land.
Debate at times has focused on the state of the region’s economy. Some mining opponents contend that tourism and migration to the area by retirees has contributed to an economic boom that would be imperiled by the approval of copper-nickel mining initiatives.

The study showed that despite significant employment in the tourism and health care industries, jobs in these industries are not the primary driver of the region. Productive sectors such as mining, forest and wood products, and rail and water transportation remain most dominant. Study results indicated tourism jobs are important to the regional economy, but the salary and benefits available fall far short of jobs in mining.
Praxis Research contrasted its findings to those in a recent study advanced by the anti-mining Friends of the Boundary Waters Wilderness, which stated “outdoor recreation and nature tourism is characterized by seasonal employment and tends to be associated with lower wages when compared to extractive industries, it can play a very complementary role in balanced regional development.”

Schill argued that mining and tourism can co-exist. :happy1:
“There are important qualitative benefits that tourism provides,” said Schill. “It makes this place a better place to live. All these amenities and and assets benefit all industries. It’s important to recognize both of these industries are here for a reason and successful here for a reason.”
« Last Edit: April 04/25/17, 08:15:28 AM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Offline greatoutdoors

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2014, 2015, & 2016 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
I'm a active member of Friends of the Boundary Waters.First trip in the BWCA was 1967,then 68,70,76,80 I quit going because of the destruction !
 I watched it deterorate from human trash! Portages in 67 where HARD to find 12  inch wide animal trails by 1976 they looked like city parks trails.The polution from mining is horrible!! Go to Colorado and look at trout streams that had BIG fish and now>Well not now but early 70s when I lived there the streams I read of in outdoorlife,Field and Stream when young were DEAD cause of  mining polution! Yah screw all nature for a few bucks! When its gone its gone! it dwindles every year!  WE'll soon be a barron landscape where no one can experience the outdoor life!
 Come on fellors we're outdoors people NOT politicians>> out to rape,steal,profit till its gone!!
It's interesting how you condemn mining, then site example after example of destruction (as you call it) of the BWCA caused by it's users, not mining companies!  :scratch:
It is now 40 years later, and technology has changed in everything we do, including mining.
As Lee has stated in his post about the difference in Mining vs Tourism, mining jobs create living wage jobs, whereas tourism based jobs do not.
The resorts on Basswood lake were there from the 1920's until 1964.  Mining was in the Ely area from about 1885 until 1968 when the last iron ore mine closed, so mining lasted far longer than these "sustainable" entities.  The resorts were removed by groups with the same mind set as the Friends of the Boundary Waters.
SO, to promote tourism, environmentalists removed the airplane, all the resorts, cabins, homesteads, and even small towns from what is now called the BWCAW.  They also removed the outboard motor from most of the lakes, then the snowmobile, limited the number of visitors allowed, stopped logging, etc.
It seems that every move the environmentalists make, curtails tourism.  confused-3316.gif
If these groups put as much money into finding some type of "environmentally correct" industry for Ely, instead of trying to keep industry out, we may not be having these discussions.
I don't get this information from reading Outdoor Life and Field and Stream, I've lived here all my life except for 3+ years in the Army in the late 60's, and watched it all happen.
Don't believe everything you read that the "Friends" spew about mining.   tut_tut-3315.gif
If they were against aviation, the only photos you would ever see are the ones of the Wright Brothers first flight, and the photo of the French guy standing on some bridge with a home made pair of wings before he crashed.  You would never see a photo of a 757 or an F-22.  :coffee:
The Great Outdoors
419 East Sheridan Street
Ely, MN 55731 USA
218-365-4744

E mail:  thegreatoutdoors@frontier.com

Like Us on Face Book
https://www.facebook.com/jim.maki.14?ref=tn_tnmn#!/pages/Great-Outdoors-Bait-Tackle/1606420532911075

"The only Ely Bait Shop owned by a lifelong resident.

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman

Hey Dew,

With no intent to start a massive debate here but I would be remiss not to respond to your prior statement about the BWCA.

You posted the following incorrect statements!

"I quit going to the BWCA because of the destruction !"

" I watched it deteriorate from human trash!"

"The pollution from mining is horrible!"

"When its gone its gone! it dwindles every year!"

"WE'll soon be a baron landscape
where no one can experience the outdoor life!"

Hey Dew, You forgot to mention that "THE SKY IS FALLING!" face_plant-2139.gif

I've  been going up to the BWCA every single year for over 40 yrs.  The only destruction I've seen there over the years is damage caused by mother Nature. That would be in the form of forest fires or sever storms.  Your descriptions of the area is alarming to read. tut_tut-3315.gif The area is just as beautiful today as it's ever been. Not sure why you posted such a negative evaluation of an area like the BWCA. Discriptions such as yours would detour anyone from wanting to visit the BWCA. confused-3316.gif
My family and I will be headed back to the BWCA again in July as we do every year for 3 wks.

When I kick da bucket I've requested my ashes be deposited in the BWCA. I hope you wouldn't mind that. Or would you label it as destructive polluting of the boundary Waters? :doah:

God Bless The BWCA :bow:
« Last Edit: April 04/26/17, 08:41:56 PM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2017 6:22 PM

Subject: Iron rangers

Reader's View: Iron Rangers are not mentally damaged.
By Amy Norenberg, Hoyt Lakes Today at 12:58 a.m.

Amy Responds to Duluth news tribune.

I was disturbed and insulted by the insinuations in the April 16 anti-mining editorial cartoon featuring Dopey drinking downstream from "7 Dwarfs Mine.

I recognize, appreciate, and applaud differences of opinion along with our country's great freedoms of speech and the press. However, what was disturbing and insulting was the implication that a large portion of the News Tribune's readership, including me, are mentally damaged because of mining.

The Iron Range mining industry operates under heavy environmental regulation, and our region currently has some of the cleanest water in the entire state. Opponents of mining in the Duluth and Twin Cities regions cannot say the same about their own water quality yet seem to feel that crudely and childishly insulting the entire Iron Range is merely an expression of an opinion. I respectfully disagree. Mocking a large area of natural and financial resources with blatant falsehoods isn't an opinion; it is a lying slap in the face.

The Twin Ports of Duluth and Superior depend on mining and not as a small revenue stream, either.

Perhaps an apology to the hard-working Iron Rangers — who are not mentally damaged, despite the depiction in the cartoon — is in order.

Amy Norenberg

Hoyt Lakes

:coffee:  More Reviews....... :taz:

Reader's View: Iron Rangers are not mentally damaged

Amy Norenberg, Hoyt Lakes Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 12:58am

:doah: ......
I was disturbed and insulted by the insinuations in the April 16 anti-mining editorial cartoon featuring Dopey drinking downstream from "7 Dwarfs Mine.

I recognize, appreciate, and applaud differences of opinion along with our country's great...

Reader's View: Cartoon curried anti-mining factions
Marlene Pospeck, Duluth Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 12:51am

For the last century mining has sustained Northeastern Minnesota's economy, including Duluth's. The mining industry also has positively impacted the United States economy.

It is sad the News Tribune decided to publish an editorial cartoon feat...

Reader's View: Anti-mining cartoon was insensitive
Brandon Monson, Duluth Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 12:42am

I was very upset with the insensitive editorial cartoon in the April 16 News Tribune featuring Dopey drinking downstream from "7 Dwarfs Mine." I felt it was anti-mining. A newspaper that publishes cartoons like that is no friend to us Iron Rangers....

Reader's View: U.S., Duluth rely on mining, too
Roberta R. Stepan Wednesday, April 26, 2017 - 12:05am

Because I was born and raised on the Iron Range, many friends passed on to me the editorial cartoon in the April 16 News Tribune that featured Dopey being poisoned by drinking water tainted with mining pollution. I very much resented this slam again...
« Last Edit: April 04/27/17, 10:51:28 PM by Lee Borgersen »

Many BWCA Reports