Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ask a Conservation Officer  (Read 893 times)

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
 :police: Ask a Conservation Officer :scratch:

Q: I did really well smelting this year and have extras that I would like to use for bait. Where can I use Lake Superior smelt for bait?

A: Smelt from Lake Superior can be used for bait only in Lake Superior. Due to the discovery of the viral hemorrhagic septicemia (VHS) fish disease in Lake Superior, this restriction was placed to try to prevent the spread of the disease to inland lakes.

:coffee: .....
A licensed minnow dealer, minnow retailer or Lake Superior fishing guide can apply for a minnow preservation permit in order to collect, treat and label Lake Superior smelt for sale and use as bait in other waters. If you obtain treated smelt from a permitted minnow retailer, you must retain the packaging and treatment information on the label while using or possessing the smelt as bait on inland waters. The labeling requirement does not apply on Lake Superior.

Enjoy the smelt for a fry or for bait on Lake Superior, but keep these restrictions in mind to help prevent the spread of this invasive disease.

Matthew S. Miller is a Minnesota Department of Natural Resources conservation officer with the Lake Superior Marine Unit. Send your questions to outdoors@duluthnews.com.
« Last Edit: May 05/10/17, 05:42:04 AM by Lee Borgersen »
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again