Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Shooting  (Read 4922 times)

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
 Hi, my name is DaveO.  I am pretty excited about becoming a pro-staffer on your site.  I'm a shoot-aholic.  I have been involved with guns and archery my whole life.  I shoot long guns, bows, and pistols.  I used to be an avid hunter and slowly got into competition shooting.
I have been a competition archer in my younger days.  I am planning on getting back to competition archery including Vegas and 3D.

My current passion is Trapshooting.  I shoot trap 5 to 7 days a week, both leagues and ATA.

So if you have any questions about shooting, technique or equipment, just give me a holler.  And if I can, I will try to help you out, one way or another.
Shut up and Shoot

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
Hey Dave,

I'm an upland bird hunter looking at purchasing my first auto. What would you recommend for the  budget minded hunter?
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Hi Joe.  That is a tricky question... I think the most important thing is gun fit.  You should pick up as many guns as you can and see which one feels the best.  Nobody needs to tell you what to look for because you will know when you pick it up. 

There are many good brands.  Its just like Ford vs Chevy.  If you are on a budget, I would check out a used gun.  I prefer named brand ones.  There are alot of used Remington 1100's and 11-87's, and Beretta 390's and 391's out there.

Thanks for asking and if you need more details, feel free to email me.
Shut up and Shoot

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
I bought a new Benelli last fall thinking I would be upland hunting with it, took it out to the game farm and shot a few times, cased it back up after a couple of misses and brought out "old reliable" Remington 1100, I just love the fit of the 1100.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline fishingmike0770

recently won a brand new Browing Citori O/U.  Wow!  went out last weekend and shot a 24 on trap. Not to shabby for 4 months w/o shooting a gun.  That gun shoots like a dream but is very spendy to buy.  O/Uers are just awesome guns to shoot for upland birds as well as competition.  I wont ever get rid of my Remington 870 though--old reliable.

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
fishingmike, That was my first o/u dang I miss that gun its so fine,,,24? thats some nice shooting,,And just for the record I dont know a whole lot of people that will part with a good ole 870 not sure what it is with them guns but they never seem to break down and they never seem to miss,,,,,
Where do yea shoot trap?

And Welcome hope you enjoy it here
« Last Edit: March 03/13/06, 10:45:51 PM by DaveO »
Shut up and Shoot

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I think I have been shooting an 870 since I was 13....? So thats what...15 years and she looks and shoots the same as when I took it out of the box!

Thanks to my cousin Scott who bought me (I paid, he bought..I was only 13) the winning pull tabs at the bowling alley, used the money to buy the gun. ;D

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
Thanks for the info.

I've got an Ithaca model 37 that I inherited from my dad. It's super light and a blast to shoot. There are a couple draw backs about it, the 30" barrel and I can't shoot steel.

I also have an 870 express I don't think I'll ever part with.

Then last fall I picked up a Stoeger O/U 20 ga. Over all a great gun for the price. It's perfect for the game farms, but I really want to go back to a 12 ga. So now I'm at a cross roads as to which type of gun to get.?
« Last Edit: March 03/14/06, 07:54:19 AM by Joe »
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Joe,
Them Stoeger's are a great gun for the money Its hard to pass them up.

I relay wanted to not drop any names in here but the more I think about it the more I think name's NEED to be dropped.

So here it is:

bretta has some dam nice auto's out there the 390 and 391 actions are proven time and time again.

They are used every day in the trap,skeet and sporting clays games by some of the top shooters in the world,,,,,And that's a fact.

If a auto can take tha kind of punishment It can certinly Handel hunting for years to come..

I own one and I also bought one for the wife which I use as a back up to my P.gun.

Remington also makes one of the best auto's money can buy.

Now let me make this Crystal clear I AM NOT SAYING THERE THE BEST. And there are allot of good guns our there..

There are allot that i have not mentioned yet,,,there are just to many.

I know that Bretta has a pinetail auto out there that is on the budget side and its a fine gun I think its using a 391 action, I would own one already if the stock fit me better....Its worth checking out.
Shut up and Shoot

Offline ATM

• Outdoorsman
Joe have you thought about the stoeger model 2000, it uses benellis inertia system a co-worker of mine shoots one and it is a nice looking gun and the price is resonable.
Adam