Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: It's Almost Time  (Read 4569 times)

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Captons meetings are just around the corner. So its time to start getting your ducks in a row.

This is when I start doing some exercising, Take the Gun out and mount it a few times in the mirror. Increase your reps everyday.

I also use two ten pound dumbells and try to mock your gun mount with them.

The reason for 10# is allot of guns weight around 8-9 pounds  give or take.

It's also time to get your gun ready as well...take it apart make sure its ALL clean and lube up.

every two years I bring my gun in and have it ultra sounded.. you will NEVER get a better cleaning than that.

Also while its at the shop you may want to have your springs looked at. pending on how much you use your gun they do get week.
Shut up and Shoot

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
Yep, the Captains meetings for BeaverBrook are next week I believe.
Warm ups are the week after, then we start dustin them clays.

Most clubs are open at some time in the winter as well, I shoot all year long even in the sub zero if the trap thrower will work.

Benny
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Does anywhere near the north metro have day leagues??

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
Metro does, they have a lot to offer the day time shooter.

Beaverbrook has night leagues, and open shooting on Sunday noon till 4 or 5 PM.

Forest lake might have day leagues, but I don't know for sure.

Benny

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Forest Lake does NOT offer day shooting, Metro is the only one that has shooting in the day time in this part of the state.

Shut up and Shoot

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I would love to get in on a league. What is a good shot for a leauge? I'll hit 20 out of 25 every time but am usually at about 23.

Offline JD

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Andover
I would like to get into a league too, when, where, and how do I get into one???

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It just dont matter what your avg. is.... People allways think you have to be a "good shot" to be on a trap leauge.

When I first stated on my very first leauge I was hitting about 5 out of 25.

If you ever wanted to get into shooting just do it and the rest will come to yea.

like my shooting coach says

SHUT UP AND SHOOT!!!
Shut up and Shoot

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Well.. there are allot of gun clubs around,, I would suggest given both of your busy schedule probably metro gun club.

you can shoot there with or with out your team any time of any day.

Its about the most forgiving as far as you don't have to be there every week and at a certain time every week.

The best thing to do is get over there and sign up,,,
Shut up and Shoot

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I would love to get in on a league. What is a good shot for a leauge? I'll hit 20 out of 25 every time but am usually at about 23.

I was also wondering what distance they usually shoot at? I usually prctice at 150yds. :o

::) ;D

Offline JD

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Andover

I was also wondering what distance they usually shoot at? I usually prctice at 150yds. :o

:laugh: I seem to have heard that before.  Where is the metro gun club and how much is it???  Can you have teams?  Team MNO? something to think about....

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Metro is kinda in between you and me. Just south a bit. 35W and 95th Ave exit and then north about 2 miles.

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

thats some good shooting,,,,,,think I will just stay home ;)
« Last Edit: March 03/01/07, 10:02:31 AM by DaveO »
Shut up and Shoot

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
I've shot at metro before. It's a nice place. I've never been on a league, but if there is a team forming, I'd like to throw my name into the hat. How many guys do you need for a team?
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
you need five guys for sure and it never hurts to have a sub or two
Shut up and Shoot

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
Leech Angler, all you need to do is locate the club you want to shoot at, go there or call them to find out when thier captins meeting is.

Then show up on that day and time and ask if any one needs a member for thier team.

Or if you have 5 to 8 people to form your own team, you do the same but show up and let the league president know your there to sign up your new team.

As far as cost goes, the club I shoot at(BeaverBrook off Klondike RD) cost the team $75 start up and $7 or $8 per round after that.

You shoot between 10 to 25 weeks for a summer league, depending on how they are set up.
Some are handicap leagues where your team shoots against it's average .
some are set up as a team over all score against the rest of the teams in your class.

Classes are set up on a scale of how well a team shoots vs how many are close to that average.

The usual yardage is 16 yards, and some move you back half way through the season.

A handicap league , you shoot at a yardage figure on your teams average vs the rest of the league.
So one team might shoot at the 16 yard line when the next team might have to shoot at the 24 yard line.

Benny

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Benny, you explained that perfectly. I used to shoot at So. ST. Paul Gun Club and love it until they got new management. He raised all prices, was not friendly at all, and quit carrying my brand of beer. So our team quit and from what I heard is they lost alot of old club members. I also hear he is now gone as well.
I shot trap for about 6 years and skeet for 1 year. I had some 25's and yes even some 14's. My best night were the first time I got 25 on trap and the one and only time I got 25 on skeet.
I did carry an average of 22.??. But I have not done it in a few years now so I think my average now would probably be about 12.
On the trap league we were a handicap league. Depending on team score would determine what yardage you shot at.
Vegetarian: Old indian word for bad hunter.