Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ladder stand design?  (Read 5700 times)

Offline jkjkoda

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Are we hunting or fishing today?
what would you want if you could design your own ladder stand? looking for input on what most hunters think are the most important features?  If money doesn't matter. This is just so I can get some input in designing a new ladder stand
« Last Edit: February 02/09/07, 10:13:52 PM by jigglestick »
Are we hunting or fishing today?

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
I love my ladder stands, if i were to build my own though....

I'd go 12 feet with a big enough platform for a buddy heater and my feet, i'd probably design something to secure the heater to the stand. a rail is very nice for safety and also serves as a shooting rail for rifles and shotguns, I'd also make a blind around the rail and stand.

I have two 16 footers now, but I don't use the middle sections in either, 12 feet up is all I need.

Make sure the chair is very quiet and comfortable, and most important as light as possible.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
if a guy could design one that is alluminum and collapsable you would have something

also, the weight distribution at the top while trying to tie it off at the top can be a bit awkward. often times the ladder seems to come away from the tree before you can get it tied off.
kinda freaky fifteen feet up.
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113

Ladder stands are nice but they are never easy to travel longer distances with in the woods. So i am forced to use a smaller less safe stand. If it could pack up nice in backpack or something I think more public land hunters could use them along with bow hunters that need to be able to move stand location more than rifle hunters do.

Now let me know when you make this I will be the test dummy  ;D
Are you a hunter or do you just kill things? Respect the wildlife!

Offline ScottPugh

• Master Outdoorsman
My cousin built one a few years ago out of 2x4 and come in two pieces (ladder and platform).  It's fine for two guys to carry and can be moved fairly easy.  It's about 12' tall.  The only issue is if it is windy, no way to get out of the wind.  But it's a good scouting stand or last few hours of the day stand. 

Next time up I will take some photo's of it.

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club
15-16 feet, lightweight, shooting rail, large platform, nice comfortable and quiet swivel seat, blind material for cover and wind. I also hang a Cabela's tree umbrella above my stand high enough that I can stand up to shoot without hitting my head or the shotgun on it as I stand, but low enough so it actually does something productive.
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline ScottPugh

• Master Outdoorsman
Finally found some pictures of my cousins ladder stand he built four years ago.  We keep this in the woods during the off season and only have had to replace a few steps and the seat in that time.  Not the best picture but you get the idea.  He puts a rachet strap around the tree.

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I saw an ad for an aluminum one that had telescopic legs.  Everything else seemed like something you can find on one stand or all but the legs were different.  The cost was what blew me away; it was about 7X what my budget was so I had to forget that dream.  Im not sure but I  think it also packed up into a back pack.  If I find it again, I'll send the info your way.
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.