Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: How close is too close  (Read 1765 times)

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
While fishing yesterday evening, a pontoon loaded with people were out cruising the lake. As they approached us I could see they were going to come pretty close so I cast out my frog in front of them. The someone on the pontoon told the driver he's going to hit my lure but he didn't care and continued on the path. I pulled the frog in but it still got run over by the pontoon. I was able to pull it out from under the pontoon so my line wasn't cut. I assume the people lived on the lake and just wanted to show us interlopers who is boss.  :angry2:
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Jerkbiat

• Master Outdoorsman
That's to close.  :angry2:
Hey look your bobber is up!

Offline mike89

• Master Outdoorsman
2nd that, get a huge dare devil let it rip in their area!!!   I cured a guy that way once...   
a bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline Steve-o

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes, it is hard to suffer the megalomaniacs and narcissists we cross paths with all the time.
You wonder if these guys wake up thinking, "How can I be an even BIGGER "Richard" today," or do they just come by it naturally.   :confused:

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Get out your phone and record it.  Contact dnr and report.  It's not likely that this was the 1st time he has done this.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We've seen the same, always a pontoon just cruising.  It's like they are on their usual path and we're the ones in the way.  I like to give them the what the hell gesture and shake my head but usually the driver won't make eye contact,  just the passengers.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Bobberineyes, you nailed it. Actually one passenger was concerned and pointed it out the driver and yes, they made us feel like we were in the way.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline dutchboy

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Twins fan.
It's why fishing line was invented. Use floating line, let him run it over, let the prop pick it up and spool you. Your line will knock out the prop seal and vengeance will be yours. Don't expect the pontoon guy to be angry, they generally aren't smart enough to put 2 & 2 together.
TIP line: ​ 800-652-9093

Offline tangle tooth

• Master Outdoorsman
      I'm sure the driver thought it was cute or funny.
      Two of my buddies were out on (I think) lake Jefferson a couple years ago. For guys on jet skis went past the fishermen, two on either side about 50' away. Kids on jet skis asked my buddies if they could swim and laughed.
      No respect or decency.
I used to be cute and adorable. Then, I had my first birthday. Been downhill ever since.

Offline Gunner55

• Master Outdoorsman
 We see the same thing this time of year from the new guests over at the resort that's just a south of us, especially with the tubers/skiers. They often come within 10-20yds of our dock. :pouty: :thumbs:
Life............. what happens while your making other plans. John Lennon

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
2 weeks ago we were about 3 miles from shore and we had a jetski buzz us.  Nobody else within miles and they just had to get within 50 feet of us.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Bobberineyes

• Master Outdoorsman
We see the same thing this time of year from the new guests over at the resort that's just a south of us, especially with the tubers/skiers. They often come within 10-20yds of our dock. :pouty: :thumbs:
We see that alot also, yesterday we were loafing in the water, lowering the dock while momma and the whipper snapper were on floaties. A family pulling teenage kids on knee boards kept  blowing by at around 50 feet or so from the dock, we kept pointing out and finally the dad yells from the boat it's too wavy out in the middle. I don't care, the law is the law and I believe it's 150 feet from docks and parked boats...