Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: FALL FOOD PLOTS  (Read 1647 times)

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Fall Food Plots...

Everyone is starting to get the fall itch.  I am already starting to talk about the "Octoba tri-vecta"...limit out on ducks in the morning...limit of pheasants in the afternoon...and then chase those fall Walleyes on Minnewaska for the evening.  Just doesn't get any better than that.

People have been asking about what to plant for fall food plot options...

Brassicas - Brassicas are the raddish family consisting on turnips, rape, sugar beats, etc.  If you plant right now you might get 6 to 10 inches of growth by the fall hunt.  Chose your heavier soils to plant on if at all possible.  Brassicas are an excellent fall attractant and especially great for muzzleloading.

Soybeans - Soybeans planted now can produce some excellent fresh greens for the whitetails.  This is especially good for archery season.

Oats/Wheat - Oats and Wheat will also produce 4 to 10 inches of nice greens for both archery and the firearms season.

King Annual Rye - Annual rye is similar to the oats and wheat option.

Due to the lack of rain this summer, try to located your fall food plots where there are heavier soils for better soil moisture availability.  Or just pray for rain.

PLM will be harvesting wild rice in September/October and will have that available thru freeze up.  Wild rice is a great option to try for attracting ducks to your favorite pond.  Since you are heading up to your pond to duck hunt anyway...take some rice along and through out in front of your blind areas for next years growth.

We still have some sago pondweed left as well if anyone is interested.

Good luck with your fall food plots and shoot any questions my way that you might have.

Kyle, PLM

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
thanks for the info kyle...
is the Brassicas from seed?
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline ScottPugh

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks for the info...  In fact I am heading up this weekend to put in our winter blend.  Apparantly the stuff we did this spring is going good since Grand Rapids has gotten a little more rain then down here in the cities. 

I am trying to find some brassicas somewhere in the cities to get up there this fall but it might have to wait till next year to do those.