Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Q. BOUT CROSS BOWS ?  (Read 8275 times)

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
  • " Minnesota Outdoorsman supporter"
??? need some info on cross bows ? i have a disabled right arm and am trying to get the info on a good cross bow for deer hunting ? i have a statement from the doc. and now waiting for the co to get back to me on a permit ! but i dont know anything about c. bows ? so would app. any help you could offer ! :-\
                                        thanks!!

woodchuck
« Last Edit: March 03/29/07, 10:47:37 AM by WoodChuck »
"i am not the KING FISHER , nor the fisher of men , but i am a fisherman "    membership n. 141

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I am glad your taking care of the legalities, you should have zero problems getting it, if you do, go to a different co. What I really like to see is that for someone to buy a cross bow they need to have the permit with them when they go to purchase.

What I can tell you not to do is go out and buy the top of the line one right away, if you can find a good used one, even better.

Ive had guys come in and buy a cross bow and love it and they go off to canada and zip one through a moose, black bear, etc. Then there are guys who buy them and after hunting a year with them teach them selves to shoot left handed, less poundage etc etc, something to deal with shooting a compound. They just dont get into the sport like they did with the bow a lot of guys honestly double and sometimes triple there shooting range by going to a crossbow, they are deadly deadly accurate weapons, I would not want to be running away from a guy with one, thats for sure. So the intimacy level of having game up in your grill can be lost. Some people thats important to them.

I have a customer right now that is shooting 28 pounds, hes 40 years old shooting a Parker Buckshot Youth model, that for 50 bucks you get the next 10 set of limbs. He hoping to be at 35 pounds by next fall. You wannt talk about determination, he comes in every day and he can only shoot a few arrows, but hes working. Thats pretty cool.

Lot of guys enjoy going out in the summer and chucking with their buddies. I shoot five or six nights a week with my buddies at Rapids and Gander, you dont get that shooting a cross bow, not too many ranges allow you to shoot there.

But I tell you what, my uncle has a real bad shoulder problem, I got his son into bowhunting and the kid loves it, he finally went out and got the permit and picked up a cross bow. I really hope hes going to be able to connect on the same level as his 13 year old son and now is 9 year old son who believe it or not his punching 5 inch groups at 20 yards, thats almost good enough to kill a turkey at ten yards.

I am not sure what disability you have, to be perfectly honest with you, you might get some crap from people. They are idiots for even running there mouth. I support your decision and your making a good choice by getting back into the sport. But be advised there are people who are against people shooting crossbows. When I hear them say that then I ask them if they ever wonder what the recurve instinctual shooters think of guys like him with tricked out compounds that are faster than a fat kid getting out in dodgeball. Thats a pretty good comeback, almost as good as when someone tells you a joke about your mom and you tell em, as long as you paid her good, thats fine with me.  ;D

The hortons are very nice as are the ten points if your looking to buy new. Just like compounds, shoot them till you find one that fits.

Also check the legalities on lighted scopes, like the red dots, alot x-bows are coming with these now, and I dont believe they are legal in mn. Dont quote me though. Hope that helps you some!

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
 Woodchuck your arm looks pretty strong in the pic  ;D just kidding

My friend shoots crossbow. when the compound Dr closed he ask me where to go for help with his bow and i suggested Bwana's only because I shoot there sometimes. And I know they sell c-bows. they fixed his bow and he said he was happy with them maybe they could help ?

sorry thats all i could think of good luck!
« Last Edit: March 03/29/07, 11:04:31 AM by WoodChuck »
Are you a hunter or do you just kill things? Respect the wildlife!

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
 ;D :laugh: thanks , for the laugh and the 12 oz beer tasted great ! the arm works fine ! but the bones in the fore arm have been broken twice. the last time with a steel plate and screws. the problem is there is not enough muscle tisue to hold tone for a extended time with a compound bow at 55 lbs as well as arthritis. so have to go to a c. bow if i wish to hunt !  thanks for the start to the info .
                           woodchuck
« Last Edit: March 03/29/07, 11:06:04 AM by WoodChuck »
"i am not the KING FISHER , nor the fisher of men , but i am a fisherman "    membership n. 141

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
remember you dont need 55 pounds to hunt with a bow....

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
Good luck on your search wood chuck. I may be in the same boat shortly because of old injuries.   I've done some reseach on them and the more I do the confused I get. If that day does come for me it will most likely boil down to the one I like the feel of. Just like my bows or guns.
 I did a search on the dnr site for lighted scopes and couldn't find a thing. I'm thinking they are ok being they do not project any lite outward. Might be a good idea to send the dnr a e-mail and find out for sure. Then you could fill us in.
« Last Edit: March 03/29/07, 11:06:50 AM by WoodChuck »

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
 :)   plan on doing this as things come along ! 55 lbs is not that much ,but it seems to be the best all round poundage for what i was shooting with the bow ! and as far as the scope just thinkin bout not useing one or a straight 4 power for now ?   :-\

wc
« Last Edit: March 03/29/07, 11:07:54 AM by WoodChuck »

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Good luck on your search wood chuck. I may be in the same boat shortly because of old injuries.  I've done some reseach on them and the more I do the confused I get. If that day does come for me it will most likely boil down to the one I like the feel of. Just like my bows or guns.
 I did a search on the dnr site for lighted scopes and couldn't find a thing. I'm thinking they are ok being they do not project any lite outward. Might be a good idea to send the dnr a e-mail and find out for sure. Then you could fill us in.

But red dots are illegal for turkey hunting remember.

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
thanks chris, as i said i seach the dnr site in meny ways and could find noththing on lighted scopes or red dots. personaly i see no need for a lighted rec.  if it is that dark you are most likely outside of shooting hrs. anyway.

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
thanks chris, as i said i seach the dnr site in meny ways and could find noththing on lighted scopes or red dots. personaly i see no need for a lighted rec.  if it is that dark you are most likely outside of shooting hrs. anyway.

Yup, but like on my Spot Hogg Hoggit with 7 deadly pins (30-90) I have the light kit put on it and that allows me the first legal ten minutes and last legal ten minutes or so if I am hunting out of my Double Bull Matrix. Sucker can be dark.

Offline TK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Andover, MN
Yea all you damn wheelie shooters that need all those fancy equiment and fast bows.  Right Chris  ::) ;D  JK 

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Yea all you damn wheelie shooters that need all those fancy equiment and fast bows.  Right Chris  ::) ;D  JK 

How about you come over to the house tk, and I will take off running, you try to hit me than its your turn to run....lol.

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
« Last Edit: March 03/08/07, 07:32:51 AM by jigglestick »
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman

How about you come over to the house tk, and I will take off running, you try to hit me than its your turn to run....lol.

can I play 8)

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
It wouldnt be real fair for you jigs. Although I suppose I can stand butt to butt with you and Tommy can outline me in chalk or something, shots outside the chalk dont count.  :P ;D

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
It wouldnt be real fair for you jigs. Although I suppose I can stand butt to butt with you and Tommy can outline me in chalk or something, shots outside the chalk dont count.  :P ;D
something about me n you butt to butt....man, just don't go there, ever

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
[
Yup, but like on my Spot Hogg Hoggit with 7 deadly pins (30-90) I have the light kit put on it and that allows me the first legal ten minutes and last legal ten minutes or so if I am hunting out of my Double Bull Matrix. Sucker can be dark.
  I've never hunted out of a blind so didn't give that a though.

Offline TK

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Andover, MN
I don't know chris after that comment I don't know if I want to come over.  Always making fun of the fat kid lol ;D

Offline WoodChuck

• Master Outdoorsman
 ;D  lucked out with a permit! now it,s time to do some prebuying scouting. need to get the low down on what to harvest after the scouting?  maybe something in the camo or dark colors for the early bow season ? Q. does anyone shoot a cross bow? if so ? what weights do you shoot, lengths and types of arrows, tips.

woodchuck   ???  :-\