Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What a difference a few inches makes  (Read 1609 times)

Offline DDR

• Outdoorsman
My last trip out fishing, I went to the dam where I knew I'd find fish.  I wasn't prepared to keep anything and I had 90 minutes to waste, so I just went to catch fish.  The area I was in, although the water was at least 10 feet deep there, I knew I'd get bites with the hook 1 foot beneath the bobber.  So that's where I set it.  Sure enough, I was catching. 

But then I dropped the hook to 18 inches... the fish suddenly grew about an inch. 

Then I dropped it to 2 feet.  The fish nearly doubled in size from the 1 foot catches!  Tried another 4-6 inch drop and quit catching fish. 

I had read that the larger fish will tend to stay lower... and now I've experienced it first-hand.  Great lesson learned!

Offline UncleDave

• Master Outdoorsman
Species?  Size?  What dam?  If we are sharing info, I am confused as this is non-specific info with no area to fish as far as depth, area, etc. 

Offline DDR

• Outdoorsman
This was at the Coon Rapids Dam bay.  Was catchin' crappies.