Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Ground Blinds  (Read 7024 times)

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
I know the double bull is top of the line but it a little spendy for me.Three that have caught my eye and fit in the budget a little better are the Cables  lightning set , the lightning set 4 season and the Ground Max escape deluxe. Has anybody used any of these and what are your likes or dislikes about them? Can you stand and set to shoot out of them? Is the material shiny? Do they set up tight so they are not flopping in the wind?
 have a good hunt.

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
I have not used the Cabela's brand yet, but I do like them the best out of the cheaper ones out there.

I used the Ameristeps brand and they are fair but not enough room to swivel around with a rifle or a fully drawen bow.

Go up to Cabela's and see them in person, compare them to what ever name brand they have around and see the defferance your self.

As for the shine, you can always "mud" them to cover up the shine.

Just rub in some dirt or mud then brush it off.

Benny
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks benny. I mentioned blinds at the coffee shop yesterday and one of the guy's has the ground max i was thinking about. Said I could come set up and set up in his garage to take a look or wait until spring and we could set it up out side and shoot out of it. The nearest cabals for me is 180 miles, thats why I'm asking questions instead of just going and checking them out.  By the time I drove down to Rodgers and back the blind would be half paid for. Maybe just order one and if I don't like it , send it back.

Offline luvn-luvnlife

• Outdoorsman
  • luvnlifes personal deer dragger
I have had the cabelas lightning set for three years now, haven't hunted out of it much. It is easy to set up and take down. I used it this weekend on the lake for a shelter for the kids to warm up in. 

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club
tripnchip. I can run out to Cabela's and check out the blinds and give ya my personal opinion on them when I get home. I only live 5 minutes from the one in Owatonna...problem is I won't be home until Sun night. I will PM you early next week.
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Saw a nice looking blind on the front of the Fleet Farm ad this last weekend. They wanted 49.99 for it.....looked nice.

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
outdooors, that would be nice if it isn't to much trouble for you.  one of the things i would be interestedin is if you thinka pshort person,5'4" could stand and shoot in it.

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
I will be stopping into Cabela's tmrw (Tues) afternoon. I will check on that for you and let you know asap.
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
tripnchip I stopped and checked out all the ground blinds they had on display. The Cabela's lightning set-4 season seemed to be the best option for you in my opinion. The roof height is 65 1/2 inches at the center--the roof is very pyramid like. I am about 5'9 and I could easily stand up in the middle of the thing, but the window cut outs are situated a little bit down on the side walls so that it would not be possible for me to stand up while shooting. This blind had the tallest roof of the 8-9 they had displayed. It was priced around $189 I believe. I hope this helps you out.

Outdoors_Realtree
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline DUSTIN

Just find yourself a nice stump and build one.  Worked for me this year with an 11-pointer at 15 yards.  Heck I didn't even build walls.

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
i hear you dustin but injuries require me to move and flex to much for setting in the open.

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
tripnchip,  try www.eastmanoutfitters.com I got mine at sams club this winter for $50.00 81" hgt. inside good for standing shots, magnets on the windows no noisy velcro. easy up easy down and packs out easy.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline Model12

• Outdoorsman
I can speak for the Cabela's Lightning Set blind. Had mine for 3 years and have used it a lot. From here to AZ on antelope, elk etc. No doubt DB has a great product and agreed the price is more than I'm willing to spend for the 50-hrs a year I'll spend in it.
As far as set up time and ease, you'll have to argue a long time w/me to say there is a better one out there than the Cabela's. You're splitting hair when you talk about weight differences on carrying them, debating camo patterns and function. Velcro isn't a friend of any animal so you need to have a window open where you'll likely be shooting. I personally shoot a lot w/my bow and have run scores of arrows thru the mesh and it affects the flight, period. I can still hit the target but the mesh (on any blind) affects it to some degree.
The Cabela's is great for shedding water. I left mine out last year in four consecutive days of rain and the ground stayed dry where the blind sat.
Money is a considertation of mine and I'd be hard pressed to use a diff't blind that cost more money (unless it guaranteed to attract animals)!
The points I like is it's got more than reasonable space for me, bow, pack etc; set up/tear down is easy and consistent, and is easy to carry on run and gun situations and withstands the elements (wind) very well. If you stake it down, it is very rigid.
Come to think of it, I need to get it back from a hunting buddy that borrowed it.
We all have three memorable trips in our lives...the first one, the last one and the next one.

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks model12, My daughter works Cabelas main office in Sedney so may be able to get a break on price.
Ken what mod. blind did you get? I went to the site and the tlallest tjey had there was 72". I see there is a dealer just 20 mi. so will take a look at them.
« Last Edit: April 04/11/07, 02:24:17 PM by tripnchip »

Offline arrowboy

Thought I would throw my two cents worth in on the Cabelas Lightning Set blind.  I bought one this spring and hunted turkeys out of it.  Cabelas had them on sale for $100 in March or April.  The things I didn't like about it was the velcro windows, shooting openings are a bit too low, the set up rope in the center hangs down in the middle of the blind (in the way) with no hook or loop to attach it to off to the side, at full draw there is marginal room if you extend your elbow back straight on your release arm, and it is not a solid blind in the wind.  Took it back to Cabelas and found a new Double Bull 360 on ebay for $320 shipped to my door.