Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Keeping Bass  (Read 3330 times)

Offline guythathunts

• Master Outdoorsman
  • The brothers with my 2006 buck.
When I see people keep bass I always think they are doing something weird. I was brought up keeping a few bass here and there when I was younger, but I don't think I have kept a bass since I was like 14. I fish for bass and have a ton of respect for bass fishermen, but when I want fish to eat I don't think of bass. When I want to fish for sport they are up there with the rest of the game fish. Maybe I am the weird one here... it would not be the first time it happened!!! They must be good eating if people keep them. I keep and eat catfish and I get some strange looks from time to time, but I never keep bass. So, what do they taste like, do you keep them all year long, how many of you gals/guys keep bass to eat and am I weird???
~ Greg
Find a bird Duke... find a bird... ROOSTER!!! BANG! Bring it here boy. GOOD BOY DUKE, GOOD BOY!!!

Offline icebanger

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
guy bass are very good eating and you can keep them in season give them a try better than catfish
 ::dancinred::

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
I'm with you on this one GTH. Bass = ICK  ::cheers::

I never have given them a fair chance though, tried bass a very long time ago and did not care for it at all, never tried again, maybe someday I'll try again.

MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Buster

• Outdoorsman
My neighbor also keeps some  :death2:early in the season, but he also likes pickled Northern! :death2:

Offline GOGETTER

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
 ::fishing:: As any fish it totally depends on who and how ya cook em'. 
GENO

Offline buckshot

• Outdoorsman
Taste?????? ???
They make great fertilzer for the garden.    :moon:

Just kiddin....I haven't kept a bass in ages...I think the biggest factor is how cold is the water it came from.  Shallow muddy warm lakes are probably going to have fish with soft meat and a muddy taste.   Cold clear lakes are going to have fish with a "cleaner" taste and more firm texture.  And that holds true for any fish...not just bass.

Walleyes come and walleyes go....but the memories last forever!!

Offline A-Rod

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I know 2 guys that keep stringers of them to each.  Say they taste great.  Those same 2 guys won't eat crappies.  To each their own I guess  :alien:

BTW... whats wrong with pickled northern??

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
I have never tried bass.  From what some of you are saying, I don't know if I want to ever try it.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline Buster

• Outdoorsman
A-Rod  The only thing I want pickled are my pickles, and occasionally my brain.

Offline buckshot

• Outdoorsman
I second the pickled brain.

::violin:;
Walleyes come and walleyes go....but the memories last forever!!

Offline DDR

• Outdoorsman
I don't eat them, but I will keep them for my friend.  He'll eat any fish as long as it's considered clean according to the Bible.  So I don't mind feeding him once in a while.

Now, I've heard that pickled pike are yummy but it's another something that I'm not gonna try. 

Pickling my brain sounds really good right about now!!!   ::drunks::

Offline iceman

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm with you on this one GTH. Bass = ICK  ::cheers::

::dito ::dito ::dito ::dito ::dito
« Last Edit: June 06/01/07, 06:52:00 PM by iceman »
On a quite nite up north you can almost here the deer laughing

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Lots of it depends on the lake they come from. They got a bad reputation somewhere along the way and people who have never ate them will not eat them. I had a contest once and the only one who knew what was what was the cook. Everyone cept one chose the bass as best. In this sample were northern, bass walleye, sunnies, crappie and perch. What I have noticed is it seems to have something to do with the water clarity more than the temp.

As a side note I know of more than one lake where I can't get people to eat the walleye.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I think you guys are crazy. I have never went out looking to catch specifically bass for a fish fry but if we are fishing panfish, crappies and we pick up a few bass we will throw them in. When we clean them we throw them in the pile with all the other fish. I'll bet any of you $50.00 that if I had an equal size peice of Sunfish, Crappie, Bass, Northern, perch and Walleye you could not guess 6/6 what they all were. Once you batter them up and fry them they are all good! Now if you are baking the fish then I could see were there could be a problem. I had this conversation with Wild Willie at SPinachs house last night......

::popcorn::