Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Land Easements  (Read 3203 times)

Offline ScottPugh

• Master Outdoorsman
Anyone know how easy it is to get easement into a piece of property? Is it true, that if a section of land is "land-locked" the DNR has to give a easement into the land? Would I be right in asking the realtor that is selling the land to look into the easement for me?

I am looking at some property up in Grand Rapids but from what I know it is land locked. The only "legal" way in, is to walk approximately 2+ miles through Blandin land, it is not possible to get a car or truck via road back to it only ATV. The land is (per a map) is about 100 - 120 acres from the main road, and the land between this land and the main road is owned by farmes (I think).

I might be walking the 2+ miles through Blandin land to go take a look at the contour of the land to see if it is even worth looking at the easement.

Any information I can go to the realtor would be great.

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
I believe you'll have to have permission from the land owners around the property to gain access. I don't know whats all involved in obtaining an easement, but you will definitly want one. I would contact the the city or the county. I don't think the DNR can help you with an easement.
What if you wanted to build a small cabin on the property and run power in? You would have to have an easement for that. Sorry, I may have not been much help, but I wouldn't buy the property unless you have access that doesn't depend on the mood of your neighbor.? ?
« Last Edit: May 05/25/06, 02:33:29 PM by Joe »
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
scott, i had a forty acre piece between, and north of big and little cowhorn lakes.
there was an established trail ALMOST to the property.
i contacted the county regaurding summer access to the parcell and i found that i was able to obtain a "ten year road use permit".
it allowed me to clear a thirty foot path into the property using high ground.
there had been a winter road across a bog.
i had to build this road acording to their rules and with their supervision.
they would send the forester out after we got so much completed periodicly until it was finnished.

that is what we had to do. your situation may or may not deal with the county.
i do believe you have the right to build down a section line to acess land-locked property.
that may or may not be your best option.
contact the people at the land commisioners office, which is across from the ag-school in la prairie, just south off hwy 169
if what you have does not deal with the county, they will point you in the right direction.
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline Russ-Judy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
when we bought the 64 acres we paid big money to the land holder to buy an easment of 66ft wide all the way back to the end of the back 40 and front 40, the 40 after that is land locked unless you get permission from a land holder like me- the 40  that is land locked is owned by the county and they wont sell- kinda dumb huh?? now if the county wants to get back there they need permission right? if the DNR wants back there across that land do they have to ask, not ask, whether there are no tresspassing signs or pay also?
very interesting ? to ask the county board huh?

Offline ScottPugh

• Master Outdoorsman
scott, i had a forty acre piece between, and north of big and little cowhorn lakes.
there was an established trail ALMOST to the property.

Man...  I might have walked on that property...  Once a year we take a walk during late deer season and walk from out property to the S finger of Cowhorn...  We say don't shoot unless you see a new record, that would be a drag and a half back to our roads. 

Offline luckyfarmer

• Outdoorsman
In Missouri someone has to give you an easement, usually the land owners joining you.   It doesn't do any good going to court, you get your road easement

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I am not sure on this but as I understand it a land owner cannot deny you access to your property provided you take the shortest route. That would not say that you could drive back there unless it was already passable. But getting an easment isn't that hard to do. Just take time off work fill paper work out in triplicate, then in goverment timely fasion you have an easment 6 mo. later. Well maybe not that soon but you can still walk there.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline iceman

• Master Outdoorsman
Scott,
this may help you then agian it may not but it's a try..

http://www.foundationnews.org/CME/article.cfm?ID=3573
On a quite nite up north you can almost here the deer laughing

Offline cole

• Outdoorsman
Scott,

The common way to go about getting access to your property if the owner abuting you won't give you an easement is to apply for a cartway through the governing body of the township you are in.  However, this process can get very costly, normally a land survey must be done in order to find the exact placement for the cartway, you as the person getting the cartway would have to pay for that along with timber value and land value.  Then if it is a cartway it cannot be gated because it is a public roadway and other people can drive up and down it. 

By far the easiest way to gain acces would be to meet with your neighbor and discuss how much it would take to let you have an easement, then you can both gate.  Also it would be much cheaper this way.  The most common amount I have ran into when people do it this way is about 1500 to 2000 dollars for a quarter mile easement.  I know it sounds expensive but if you involve all the costs from the cartway you would probably triple this cost. 

I hope this helps

Cole