Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: do you shoot your bow with your quiver on or off???  (Read 8491 times)

Offline GOLDTIP

• Outdoorsman
  • My first Wisconsin deer October 2008
just wondering how many people leave their quivers on while in the stand and do you shoot your bow the same when you practice???
LIFE IS ALWAYS FULL OF CHANGES  SO ALWAYS EXPECT THE UNEXPECTED  SO HUNT WHILE YOU CAN !!!!

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Im just getting used to my new bow but heres how I did it with my old bow.

Your FIRST arrow is the most important shot right?  So I put 3 dummy arrows in the quiver with field tips on so they weighed the same as if I was shooting that first arrow.  Those 3 were hacked up and not shootable and never left the quiver till hunting season.  I would then keep shooting arrows from my hip quiver.

I need more arrows for this new bow to do that.  Nothing hacked up -- yet.

Grute
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline Joe

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Outdoors Weekly
I could see where it could be important to practice with the quiver on, but I never do.
I'll have to bring it along and try it out next time.
Here's to a long life and a merry one.
A quick death and an easy one.
A pretty girl and an honest one.
A cold pint-- and another one!

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I nock an arrow and hang the quiver next to me. One less thing to clear up the vision to your right if your at full draw. Plus I shoot white arrows so its less movement too.

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Im just getting used to my new bow but heres how I did it with my old bow.

Your FIRST arrow is the most important shot right?  So I put 3 dummy arrows in the quiver with field tips on so they weighed the same as if I was shooting that first arrow.  Those 3 were hacked up and not shootable and never left the quiver till hunting season.  I would then keep shooting arrows from my hip quiver.

I need more arrows for this new bow to do that.  Nothing hacked up -- yet.

Grute

I would end up grabbing a field tip. lol. I got a doe on video my buddy missed and it came closer yet and then he drilled it on the second shot. Lucky, oh yeah.

I keep three buck broadheads in my quiver, than my other two is seperated by one slot over and I keep a turkey expandable if I have a tag and the other a judo for grouse or waterfowl. Sucks when your arrow sinks in the water though. lol

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
I practic both ways bcause some time the quiver is on in the stand and some times it is off. I keep my shots at deer in close so the effect of the quiver on or off is not a great deal.
  To tell the truth I have more trouble with arm slap when I put the extra clothing on.
« Last Edit: July 07/30/07, 01:22:02 PM by tripnchip »

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Trip, You ever try rubber bands around your sleve to hold em in?  The same thing has happened to me a bit with this new bow.  Don't know what the difference could be but I've hit my arm or sleve almost once per outing with it so far.

Not to hijck this thread so I'll use the quiver that came with my bow.  Hunt and shoot with it on Not sure of the name brand but it holds em in real tight.

Grute

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
The first year that I hunted with a bow I shot withe the quiver on. I think as that year went on I began to take it off. And now this year I will shoot with it off. I hang it over my stand or on a nail somewhere easily accessible.

Offline blazer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
While in the tree I take the quiver off, don't like the weight and the extra size, but I when practicing I always take a few shots with it on.  Since I walk out to my stand with it on I figured I better get used to shooting with it one, since you never know when a deer will walk in front of you.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.  -B. Franklin

Offline Roosterslayer

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I dont practice or hunt with my quiver on.

Offline steveo_21_hoyt

yeh i always take my quiver off in the stand so i never practice with it on. i only plan to shoot at a deer once but i suppose the arrows are more accesible when the quiver is on the bow.

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
yeh i always take my quiver off in the stand so i never practice with it on. i only plan to shoot at a deer once but i suppose the arrows are more accesible when the quiver is on the bow.

Not to hijack the thread but I noticed you just joined.   ::welcome::   Sign in at the welcom mat and tell us a little about yourself.  You'll love this site.  There are so many pros here you can always get an answer to what makes your head itch.

Grute

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
i've been practicing with it off... so I guess i'll hunt with it off too.  I'll have to get a sling quiver or something.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline MnArch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Minnesota Archery
Practicing with your quiver on is always the right thing to do if you choose to shoot with it on your bow.  I personally shoot with my quiver off.  A quiver can add side torque to your bow which can effect how that particular bow shoots and it can also add a bit of noise.  I bring an extra tree peg with and hang it on my side when I am hunting.  But to each their own.  If you do like shooting with your quiver on make sure you practice with it on.
You're welcome at
Minnesota Archery
Litchfield,MN
(320) 693-2061

Offline luvnlife

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I shoot with the quiver off for practice and also when I am up in the tree. I usually find a little branch to hang it on when I am up in the tree....LUVNLIFE

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
on.....but I don't worry about the weight.  I have a level Ipay attention to.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline IceChisel

There is no up side to shooting with your quiver on your bow, it is all down side. It is only a question of if you can live with "cost" of a bow quiver. The cost is the balance, noise,weight, rattles etc. You can attempt to minimize these costs but an archer is always better off without the bow quiver.

Offline Pegg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I leave it off. One more thing to get in the way. But when I am on the move I put it on. I would practice both ways  so just in case you can shoot both ways. Good luck
If today was perfect. There would be no need for tomorrow.

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
I've always praticed and hunted with the quiver off.
« Last Edit: September 09/18/07, 11:16:18 AM by Spinach »
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Model12

• Outdoorsman
I guess my thought is which ever way you are going to hunt, that's the way you should practice. I've grown so accustomed to having it on that, I always practice w/the quiver. I used to have detachable quivers and when I hunted out of a tree, I'd take it off about 1/2 the time. I hunted diff't trees and didn't always have a convenient place to hang or set it so I just left it on. It was more of a hassle to have it off than on for me.
One of the best comments I heard earlier is paying attention to the level w/or w/o a quiver. You should pay attention to your level even if you don't have your quiver on. How much does a quiver really weigh w/broadheads?? Most likely have a 400gr +/- arrow and have, what, six arrows? Plus the weight of a quiver...not that much to practice with and if there ever was a chance to get a 2nd shot, I think it's easier to take from the quiver than turn around, bend over or what ever to fish around for another arrow.
I also use a catquiver for spot and stalk hunting so you may consider one of those if you don't like a quiver on the bow. Still have to find something to hook it on in the tree and keep from moving.
We all have three memorable trips in our lives...the first one, the last one and the next one.

Offline TMT

• Outdoorsman
  • Deer hunting/waking up in the morning.
I practice with both.  When I am hunting from a stand it is off.  When I am stalking them on the ground, it is on.
<><
Catchin' fish is a bonus!