Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: It's finally here!  (Read 6101 times)

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Well, I'm off to bed and getting up at 5am. Luckily I only have a 5 minute drive in the morning.

Good luck everyone and be safe.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Well you're up in your tree stand as I type this but GOOD LUCK!!  I wish I could be out there this weekend too but work got in the way.

GOOD LUCK to all hunters out there today - archery, water foul, and small game!!!

Grute
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Heading out this evening to see whats going on. Have a stand in a prime area and am anticipating a lot of action. Will post reports......... ;)

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club
Best of luck to all who are able to get out this weekend !!!

I can't wait to hear reports and see some pics of the weekend's action.

Be safe everyone !!!     8)
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
all i can say is AAAAGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!
i nailed a 6 pointer, the arrow broke off in him.  After letting him go and sit for 2 hours, tracked, and tracked..  and figured he'd be dead on a bed.  tracked to a swapy area, boom he gets up and runs away.  no blood trail after about 5 yards.  nothing. nada.  i am so pissed about losing this deer.
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Where did you hit him? What color was the blood trail? Do you need some help, I can come help you right now if you want.
MNO Fishing Reports
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
i had a nice 30 yard right side (broadside) shot... right when I was lined up and let go he took a step forward, so I was probably 5 inchs behind the vitals... so I would imagine he is high gut shoot.the fact the arrow didn't go through and then broke off Doesn't help matters... there was no blood trail anymore.  trust me, i put on the miles looking for him.  this is only the second deer that I have every lost that I shot, but the first one that I am pretty sure will die without me finding it.  (the other one was a bad muzzle load shot ((powder wet?)) that didn't penitrate and I think that buck will live out his life with a copper slug in his shoulder)  I don't know how we'd find it Pat... I had my uncle out and his neighbor who know the land and they booth agree it would be a hard one to find.  I think, unfortunatly, the coyotes will get that one.

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
The offer still stands, if you want to try again in the morning, just let me know. I'm sure he'll expire somewhere now that he is left alone. How far did he move from where you took the shot? How much property do you have access to and is he still on the property?

Call me if you change your mind.
MNO Fishing Reports
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Lets get Luci out there ;D She seems to be good at finding dead deer......

Seriously you need help I would be willing to lend two eyes as well.

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
well.. the property i hunt on isn't much... he went a total of maybe 200 yards before bedding the first time.  we could try... i gotta drop my kid off for baseball... but maybe after that? 

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline GirlGuide

• Master Outdoorsman
  • (aka ~gg)
..just interested here...Did you ever have any luck finding your buck?  gg

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
nope.  i kicked him up once and he got up pretty healthy, so i'd like to think he'll turn out to be the old, wise buck of the area that everyone sees in the distance but never gets a shot at.
I hate the fact that I hit a deer and couldn't get it though. 

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Model12

• Outdoorsman
On the info provided, I'd say you have a dead deer. That boken shaft/broadhead isn't done working and will continue to do damage when ever he moves. I'd say he's closer than you may think and hunkered down. He's got plenty of food and bedding area where ever he last bedded and won't go far for a long time, if he's still alive. You'll be amazed by walking through the scenario w/another person or two along and diff't perspectives on the situation. Take 'em up on the offer and see what you find out.
No doubt the emotions of losing a deer are not fun but it's part of it. Give it the college try and give it one more look-see. Best of luck.
We all have three memorable trips in our lives...the first one, the last one and the next one.

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
I did get out opening morning for a few hours, saw 7 deer out of my stand, 2 yearlings were within 20 yards of my stand and the others were out of range. I didn't do any calling at all, i just sat and wanted to get a good idea of what was on the property.

I typically dont do much bowhinting until the end of October or later, I hate the heat...

MNO Fishing Reports
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
Went out last night and had a nice high 6 pointer come by me. If he makes it to next year he will be big. I'm waiting for the bigger one. There is a nice 8 and maybe a 10.
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
You got more patience than I do then.  I'd have taken my best shot.
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.