Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What kind of bow would you consider purchasing in 2008?  (Read 6009 times)

Offline MnArch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Minnesota Archery
We all know that just about every bow company these days makes a great bow.  Let's see what bows will be hot in 2008! 
« Last Edit: October 10/22/07, 10:10:14 AM by MnArch »
You're welcome at
Minnesota Archery
Litchfield,MN
(320) 693-2061

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I have been shooting the same bow since 1999 so I will be purchasing a new bow in 2008 for sure. I really can't limit it to one name. I recently shot a switchback and in comparison to mine was blown away!! I am aware that anything that I buy new will be a huge step up from what I am shotting now so I figure I will shop around for a good fit, feel and comfort and of course a good price. I am not spending $1000.00.

From what I have "heard" I would prefer a Bowtech, Matthews, or PSE. They seem as if they are on the leading edge of the industry coming from someone who doesn't know a lot about bows.

Offline awb500magman

• Outdoorsman
Well I guess my next bow is going to be a all black Bow teck wich one I dont know yet

Offline Diesel77

I'll be keeping an eye on the new Bowtech General. I will also see what Hoyt comes out with. Im a big fan of both companies and have owned and loved everyone of the bows I purchased from these companies. I also like Mathews and have nothing but great things to say about those bows, but Ive only shot them and never owned a Mathews.

Offline ice_bandit

• Outdoorsman
i shoot the alpine archery avalanche and think it's a great all around bow for the price.  a thanks goes out to minnesota archery for the great bow and great price.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I don't own a bow so I have nothing to compare to.   A couple weeks ago I shot my brother in laws Switchback.  I shot two arrows at 10 yds and 2 at 20.  Seemed ok so I took it hunting.  I will post the results in the another thread.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline MnArch

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Minnesota Archery
Deadeye+........Dude, did you score?.....can't wait to see your post....I hope it has pics!!!!
You're welcome at
Minnesota Archery
Litchfield,MN
(320) 693-2061

Offline rocklake488

• Minnow
I started with a Browning and have since owned 2 different Mathews. I'm leaning toward a "Drenalin" for a lighter bow.  I have been really impressed with both of the Mathews bows that I have owned. I'd also consider Hoyt and PSE.
It's not the story, but he who tells it.

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
I started shooting about 8 years ago with an old Jennings and was successful and happy with it.  I got lucky and won a new bow in a raffle this year so I do have a brand new state of the art Browing F5 Tornado.  But if I had not won that Browning, I'd still be shooting my old Jennings.  Jenning?  Who?  Huh?  Yeah they're all good even the ones without the high priced marketing team.  Bear makes Jennings and a few other brands and even if not boasted, they're still good quality equipment that I would gladly use.

If I were to have no restrictions on $$ and could buy any bow I want, I would go with 1 of 2 kinds of bows -- recurve or long bow.  I have no idea what brand I would get but that would be my next move.  I've gotten good enough with a compound that Im happy with it and its a ton of fun but what about the other side of the fence?  I'd like to play with the instictive shooting and go all traditional.

That's my 2 cents (or 3) and Im stickin to it.  Y'all have a nice day now.

Grute  ::dancinred::
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
The compound bow may not have been the best thing for the sport of archery. But as far as hunting goes you are a fool to use anything but a compound. I know how David killed Goliath. But to harvest an animal with a recurve is like hunting ducks with a BB gun.It can be done however I feel deer deserve more respect than to be wounded by darts when going into a possibly harsh winter. I have seen an Archer with a recurve consistantly strike a bull at 40 yards while holding a conversation but it was only piercing the paper.That guy was astonishing he would draw about eight inches of pull and then look at the target and fire. A couple times the arrow fell out but accurate as anyone I have ever seen.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
The compound bow may not have been the best thing for the sport of archery. But as far as hunting goes you are a fool to use anything but a compound. I know how David killed Goliath. But to harvest an animal with a recurve is like hunting ducks with a BB gun.It can be done however I feel deer deserve more respect than to be wounded by darts when going into a possibly harsh winter. I have seen an Archer with a recurve consistantly strike a bull at 40 yards while holding a conversation but it was only piercing the paper.That guy was astonishing he would draw about eight inches of pull and then look at the target and fire. A couple times the arrow fell out but accurate as anyone I have ever seen.

Well Im not sure if I would hunt with it and no comment as to wheather Im a fool or not  :whistling:  but I think it would be fun target shooting.  No sights or rest -- just off the shelf.  Yeah a recurve or long bow would be my next bow that's for sure.

Grute  ::dancinred::
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
MN Archer, you have some great bows listed and it would be hard to chose between them without shooting them first. I'm not a brand name person, if it  feels rite in my hand and shoots good for me I don't worry about the name. I own a Hoty now but won't say thats what the next one will be. Heck I like this one so much there may not be another one.lol
  Kenhuntin, Have to say I think you are miss judging the recurve and long bow's. Yes, lb. for lb the compound will out perform both by shooting faster, flater, and for most people more accurate because the time is not put into the recurve and long bow to learn how to shoot it. The deer I shot with my 50 lb.recurve were just as dead as the ones I've shot with my 55lb compound. It is not the bow that makes a hunter but the hunter that makes the bow work. But then again maybe the recurve and long bow does help a more ethical hunter because the the dedication required to become a good enough sot and learning the ability to g et realy up close to the game.
  Just some of my rambling thughts on it.
« Last Edit: October 10/23/07, 05:52:31 AM by tripnchip »

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I also own a Hoyt.  I would probably have to leave it behind the truck and accidentally run over it before I'd buy a new bow.  Then I would have owned a Hoyt Eclipse, Hoyt Vortec, and the new one would be a Hoyt.  In fact I'm so happy with it I'd probably find another Vortec for a fraction of the price of a new bow.  I'd also like to add I have really never heard anyone say anything bad about a bow they owned.  So I'd bet they are all good.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline awb500magman

• Outdoorsman
Ok I have made my pic for 2008 bow.......

I am going to get another Bow Tech Guardian, this one will be in Testarossa 60lbs same specks as I am shooting now, I will use it for 3-D and outdoor and then when hunting seson comes around I will use it in my Duble Bull blind the black will be nice for that.

This Guardian is a VERY SWEET shooting bow...

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008 & 2011 MNO Fishing Challenge Champs!
I was going to check into a Gardian too. I saw some on ebay that were fairly decently priced.
You never see a FLAG BURNING at a GUN SHOW.