Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: what LBS do you hunt with ??  (Read 7097 times)

Offline awb500magman

• Outdoorsman
ok I have herd lots of storys about people not being able to draw on deer this year becose of being over bowed (shooting to much lbs) How much do you realy need to have to harvest a deer ?????

Ok I am pulling 58lbs in my 2007 bowtech Guardian and that is plenty for this bow I am geting 65ftlbs of KE at the poundage Opening day i saw lots of deer but not in the stand location i had piced so I did some stalking and scouting, I cam apon 3 deer a 3 year old doa a 2 year old doa and a butten buck I wached them for 20min to a half hour feeding in a smaler medow i decied on taking the larger doa, took my qiver off my bow and took my back pack off an nocked a arrow and grabed my range finder. they where 170 yards form me and the wind was in my faver there was plenty of brush to hid behind so i started the stalk getting on my belly cralwing and shimming on my knees to get closer I was swetting up a storm from my camando type manuvers trying to get with in range of the deer...I finaly got with in 70 yards of them and was looking at them closer I was for suer taking the biger one one of the smaller ones the Butten Buck was making its way twards me It did not know i was there but got with in 35yards of me still wanting the larger doa i checked the range one more time 56 yards away from me to the larger doa I drew back my bow with out making any mager movement and got my bow settled in to my ancher point and made sure my levele was on than i put my 60 yard pin right on her belly sqezzed my triger and that arrow whent screaming out of that bow I could see that arrow go but she ducked a bit and i ended up hitting her high lung and back just a bit that arrow dissaperd on her body i saw it hit but did not see it hanging in her so i thought I missed maybe, I went to find the arrow and was suprised to see lots of pinkis frothy blood on the grass and knew right away it was a good hit my arrow was found coverd in red pinkish blood it was 20 feet out the other side of her it was getting dark and it was only 8 min after i shot her so i was going to leave her over night and come back in the morning had a 1.25 mile hicke back to my truck so I left her, did not sleep to well thinking I should have went after her, but still made my choice The next morning i was out there at first light and cam back to the same spot blood trail was still good so i started to track i was tracking it for 60 yards when i found it under a fallen oak tree in a gully the hind quarters where gon and piles of fur every where Cyotyes had eaten up the hind quarters and started on the front so I just left it but i did check my entrace and exit holes broke no ribs in and 2 ribs out ......If i would have gone after her it would have been hanging.. but i did not and whell the cyotyies had dinner that night on me

So I ask How Much lbs is enough well hate to say this but my days of hunting with 70lbs are done. with bow tecknoligy the way it is advacing and arrow tecnoldgey well i think 55-60 lbs is more than enough for white tail hunting....my bow is doing 295 fps with a 334gr arrow that is 44 grains over IBO arrow what for my curent set up and i blew throu a deer at 56 yards so I think i have enough power and I am not by any means Over Bowed

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008 & 2011 MNO Fishing Challenge Champs!
I was shooting a 70#  Diamond Liberty up until a week or two ago.
I will stick with the 70 pound bows until my muscles tell me I can't.

Are you selling your Gaurdian? If so...Tell me more.
You never see a FLAG BURNING at a GUN SHOW.

Offline awb500magman

• Outdoorsman
I was not planing on it but Let me get in touch with bow tech and see when they can get me one in all black If i can get one soon mybe I would concider selling it.....but was thinking of keeping it and having 2 but will see  ;D

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
As some of you know, I have Big Slicks "old" bow.  I was able to pull it at 70# most of the time.  I drew it on two deer but for one reason or another never took the shot.  The third time I couldn't draw back.  I have since changed it to 55#.   I must be a real woosie.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
70# wow....I sure wouldn't want to have to be pulling that thing back! No reason. You will be good at 55#'s I am at about the same and I am shooting an 8 year old bow.

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
my reflex buckskin is set at 62 pounds.
I am very comfortable with it, but if I could adjust it down I would. I would like to increase my hold time.
I was told and I believe that you should shoot as much poundage as you can comfortably shoot, no more.
you will shoot more accurately and be able to hold longer.

the guys who want to prove how tough they are by having these bows set up at 8 million pounds, are only on ego trips, or are trying to over compensate for what they feel are shortcomings in the bedroom. it's a proven fact. the higher the draw, the shorter the willy, the lower the draw weight, the longer the willy. it's a proven fact.

ok, I 'm just kidding...well, maybe in some situations, I'm not, but I do believe that some guys think the faster a bow shoots, the more likely they are to get a kill shot.
is that true?
maybe is some cases, like 1 100th % of the time?
the best thing you can do is shoot what is comfortable. you can effectively kill deer at 30 pounds with todays bows and razor sharp broad heads. probably even lower poundages.

take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman
I practice at 55# and hunt at 53#. Iuse to shoot at 65# but have had to slowly drope over the years because of injuries.

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
If you would have spent the amount of time in the gym as I have you wouldn't concider 70# as being "too much". But then again I haven't hit my "Golden Years" yet either.
But I gotta say that this statement is extremely funny.
 :ROTFLMAO:

"the guys who want to prove how tough they are by having these bows set up at 8 million pounds, are only on ego trips, or are trying to over compensate for what they feel are shortcomings in the bedroom. it's a proven fact. the higher the draw, the shorter the willy, the lower the draw weight, the longer the willy. it's a proven fact."
« Last Edit: October 10/31/07, 02:26:25 PM by Big Slick »

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
As some of you know, I have Big Slicks "old" bow.  I was able to pull it at 70# most of the time.  I drew it on two deer but for one reason or another never took the shot.  The third time I couldn't draw back.  I have since changed it to 55#.   I must be a real woosie.

Your not a woosie, you just didn't give your muscles time to build up to the task.

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
I just bought a new Diamond Justice a few weeks ago, it was originally set at 70 #'s, the tech at gander was tuning it for me and had me draw it back to set my draw length, it was at 70 and the first thing i asked him was to knock it down to 60 or so, he adjusted it to 62 and it felt great in the store. I might knock it down to an even 60 so I can hold it longer though.

MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline awb500magman

• Outdoorsman
Big slick working out in the gym has nothing to do with it... when you are sitting in a stand in 35 degrewether your musscles tighten up becuose of the cold and less blood flow then when you want to or have to pull a bow back after 2-4 hours in this wether and you are stiff it is harder to get back..I use to shoot 80lbs and found it alot easer on me and my cold tenced up joints to shoot lighter, found it easyer and less likely for my joints to make noise as i pull the bow back....

I know a guy that can shoot 107lbs all day long and when he gets in his satnd and sits he hunts with 65lbs why be couse of the tightness in his joints from sitting all day..

I can still shoot 70lbs I just dont see any need for it any more when you have bows like the Bow Tech Guardian, the new 82nd Air Born, Genrale the PSE X-Force 7 and such bows like that..If i had a 60lbs X-Force 7 or the Dream Seson 7 in 60lbs draw it would be faster than a 3 year old 70lbs draw bow...the tecnoligy is changing so fast.....

Offline Big Slick

• Master Outdoorsman
Big slick working out in the gym has nothing to do with it... when you are sitting in a stand in 35 degrewether your musscles tighten up becuose of the cold and less blood flow then when you want to or have to pull a bow back after 2-4 hours in this wether and you are stiff it is harder to get back.

Of course it has something to do with it. If you don't have the muscles in the first place you may as well buy a 45# bow.
As far as sitting in a tree and not moving for 2 hours that would be you own mistake. Every so often, when the tight feeling starts, I SLOWLY move my arms front to back just to keep them limber "just in case" the monster of a life-time walks past the stand. I also dress for the weather, staying warm is important to me.

Don't get me wrong here. I really don't care what poundage of bow anybody shoots as long as it's over the 30# the state requires it to be. Everyone has their own preference with brand, style, poundage, arrows....etc... and should stick to what they want and are comfortable shooting.
« Last Edit: November 11/01/07, 08:43:14 AM by Big Slick »

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Mine came at 70lbs and Im comfortable with it so Im leaving it there.  I figure the fewer changes I make the better off I am.
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.