Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Coyote hunting  (Read 4017 times)

Offline shwangman

Hello:

I'm new to the site and even thou i don't hunt Coyotes, I have been asked by the lady who owns the land that I bow hunt on, if I would get rid of the pack of Coyotes that has tired to take down her dog and I told her I would try  :)

When would be the best time to hunt these guys???
Can I pickup a call at the local Gander or any ideas??
Can I hunt them from my tree stand in the woods??
If I should get lucky to get one or more, is there a someone in Carver county that would buy it for the hide and If I have to skin it, is there a place to go and get directions and where to start?
I have done plenty of deer but this will be new to me.
Any pointers would be great.

Thanks

Ken

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Shwangman,

Welcome to MNO!  I don't hunt coyotes, but I know several members here do.  So, check back here later and I am sure you will have a lot of advice from our yote hunters.  Coyote hunting does sound like a good time.  Good luck!
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
if she wants them all gone i would say the best way would be to have them trapped. from what i have heard hunting is not 100% effective but im sure someone will disagree with me. Me as a trapper have done some work like this before. if one was to set traps in the right spots you may be able to take them all in 2 or 3 nights.

If you do get one or all of them there are tons of country buyer that will buy them whole so you would not have to skin them. that is if there is no big holes in them. if you can not find someone to buy them let me know i will sell them for you.

on the how to hunt them i would have no clue i have never hunted them. i know Repoman on here is a yote hunter i would send him a message and see what he says.

also welcome to the site          thanks 

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
i with mnminkman on the trapping ,  its a lil more affective in the right spots , but if youve never done it before ,hunting on the ground is probably the best way to go .blind , etc .. get a good call thhough . any distress calls usually do good , rabbit , injured annimal calls , just make sure you brring your patience , coyote aRE prrety smart ....

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
watch your scent to??? im pritty sure they will come in down wind?? am i right on this one??   seen it on the sportsman channel

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
absolutely ! coyotes have a wicked nose too !

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot

heres a video on how to skin a coyote , the basics anyways , everyone has there own methods ,

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
leave the paws on the pelt and it will be worth more.  a lot more.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I did something on this awhile back. Here it is, if this works.

It didn't so i put the topic to the top read it I hope it helps.

"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline shwangman

Thanks guys for all the good information. I will keep you all in mind and if I should get lucky enough to get one or more, I will be calling  :)  I have a blind and I bow hunt so i have all the scent loc and sprays. Thanks again guys, i will let you know how it turns out.

Ken  :mysterymachine:

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
Ken

after your posting it kinda maid me want to try it to. i have trapped all of the predetors but have never hunted them. i went out the other day and bought a caller. so now all i need is luck like you. be sure to post some pics when you get some. you going for just yotes or fox to?       
« Last Edit: November 11/29/07, 11:13:05 PM by mnminkman »

Offline LLtaxidermy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Gander mountain or dicks sporting goods has a good electronic call for 40 bucks. Where are you located, If you do get one I might be interested in one.
Lee Ledford
Leland Ledford Taxidermy
507-990-5882

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
Ill get some yotes just do not know if i will shoot one or not but i will get some in traps. i would think for taxi work you would want on that was trapped so there is no holes in it???  how do you skin a yote for taxi work??

Offline LLtaxidermy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
bullet holes are easy fixes in most places, a close range shotgun blast might be tough but i'm guessing rifle for yotes. It's tough to explain on the computer but if you make a dorsal incicion that is best. Start the cut about halfway down the neck on the backside and cut towards the tail. a 10-12 inch incision is plenty. skin around the neck until you can remove the head from the neck from there the skin will start to pull over the rest of the body. Once you get to the legs go ahead and cut them off and keep skinning to the back legs. Once to the back legs cut them off and your there. you don't gut the animal at all. almost no blood and no guts. Once your done the skull and legs will be the only things left to skin. Skin the legs to the knee and cut the bone at the joint. When the yote is skinned for taxidermy you will have the lower bone in the legs the tailbone and skull remaining. Bag and freeze. It's a little different than most of us were taught but it will save you money at the taxidermist!!
Lee Ledford
Leland Ledford Taxidermy
507-990-5882

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
whats a yote worth then that is put up like you say??

Offline LLtaxidermy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Not real sure they are on taxidermy.net quite a bit but i'm not sure of a price. They're always different based on fur quality, size, skinning holes, etc. I'll do more checking and let you know. What do you get for them otherwise?
Lee Ledford
Leland Ledford Taxidermy
507-990-5882

Offline LLtaxidermy

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
MNminkman here is a post from today on taxidermy.net so you have an idea.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Caught this coyote last week in Wisconsin. Would make a nice mount. Only hole is from a 22 right behind the shoulder. Dorsal skinned with feet left in. No cuts on feet from the trap. I am a taxidermist so it is skinned right with no skinning cuts and enough eye and lip skin for tucking. Also stop rot was applied to it before it was frozen. Asking $50 for it and that INCLUDES shipping priority mail anywhere in the lower 48. E-mail rphalin@wi.rr.com
Thanks
Rich

Measurments are off the carcass
nose to eye 4"
chest 18
tail 14"
nose to base of tail 33"
Lee Ledford
Leland Ledford Taxidermy
507-990-5882