Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Petting A Wild Possum  (Read 4446 times)

Offline UncleDave

• Master Outdoorsman
I was at my computer last night which is next to my backyard patio in Coon Rapids.  Iive in a very residential area within a mile or so of the river.  I was shocked last night to see a possumcome across my patio.  I put my shoes on to see what critter just ran across my patio as my 16 YO pooch was out doing her business, but I was a bit afraid of what animal just crossed my patio.  I chased it out to my neighbors fence and saw it was a possum.  He/she ran up the ironlink fence as I approached and it ran up the fence to ed up chest level.  After happy hour I thought it a good decision to pet a wild possum.  The dang thing just sat there.  I petted it's hinder maybe 30-60 seconds, but it didn't run off.  I was stupid enough to pet the critter until it finally hissed, I backed off as rabies shot might suck.  I am the next "KQRS" story of a drunk idiot who had it coming.  It was still cool...even though minus rum I would have said "know"...nooooooo.  J/K  Why would a wild possum not be afraid of a human let alone allow itself to be touched?  Weird.

Offline Outdoors Junkie

• MNO Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • AKA "Outdoors Junkie"
Don't they often play dead when cornered?  That is very interesting that it let you touch it.  Would have been cool to get a picture of that.  Thanks for sharing your story.
www.mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Maybe he was just back from happy hour as well.......?

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
maybe you two had a moment out there on the fence.  :drinking:

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
 :rotflmao: :rotflmao:   let us know if it comes back ,

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
He was just playin possum. The dog picks them up and carries around in her mouth thinking she found a dead critter. After getting bored with her prize she sets it down and after a bit the possum will just walk away, when the dog is gone. Once the possum took off b4 the dog was gone and that became one dead possum. I think now the dog is onto the game of playin possum as she makes sure they are dead now before setting them down.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
Griz, I thought you ate those critters! :spam:
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I do come on over for some one night. I normally save a bunch just to have on hand to treat people like you. :dancinred: Don't forget the trainin fluid.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline gearguy10

• Minnow
I had a possum encounter a year or two back.  It was a cold winter evening and I was out shoveling my driveway after the plow went by and filled me in.  Out of the corner of my eye I saw a dark blob in the middle of the street and ignored it, thinking it was a chunk of dirty snow that came off a car.  A moment later the chunk moved.  I realized it was a possum and decided to give chase.  With my oversized plastic shovel in my hands I charged off down the street in pursuit of the fleeing beastie.  Just as I caught up with it the possum froze, wheeled around, and hissed at me.  I slid to a stop a thought, "What the heck am I doing?  This thing could give me rabies or something."  For some odd reason I decided, before I let it go in its way, to give it a bonk on the noggin with the shovel.  It sat there looking at me like "What the heck did you do that for?"  To this day I don't know what made me do it, but at the time I thought it was funny.

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot

Offline mnfisherguy

• Outdoorsman
  • Im into hunting, fishing, cooking, and my horse ..
Maybe he was just back from happy hour as well.......?

LOL that was my thought to Mayfly...  what a trip not sure if its cause it let you pet it or the fact that you did... But great story..
If you say or react to something when frustrated or angry it will inevitably end in distaster !!

Offline Wagz

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I am guessing that it needed a little lovin and you might have looked pretty to him  :rotflmao: