Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Help - pump not ejecting spent shells  (Read 3075 times)

Offline mnshutterbug

I have an older Mossberg 500 pump shotgun. It worked great last year but today when I went hunting, the danged gun wouldn't eject the fired shell. It has no problem ejecting a live round, but once the shell is shot and the brass has expanded, it won't eject. I'm using the same shells I used last year. I cleaned and oiled it and it didn't help any. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Offline rem

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
clean it and trade it of for a remington

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I had a gun that was doing that once and the part that grabs the rim of shell was worn so much. Gunsmith took care of it real quick.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline acpoco

• Minnow
I've had the same problem with the shotguns I use for trapshooting, I found it to be a ring of crud, made up of powder residue and plastic right up in the front of the chamber.  I used a reversing drill, a bronze bore brush, some 000 steel wool and some acetone (to dissolve the plastic).  Put a section of cleaning rod into the drill chuck, tip it with the bronze brush and really ream the chamber out, using the acetone, or any good bore cleaner.  When the chamber looks clean, put a piece of the steel wool around the bronze brush and run it in the chamber until it really shines.  Then clean any of the acetone out of the barrel and lube as you normally would.  Be careful if you have a camo dipped gun, I expect the acetone would ruin the finish.  This treatment works for me every time.

Offline tripnchip

• Master Outdoorsman

Offline Rooster30

• Minnow
Yep I have the same gun and had the same problem...   worn extractor clip, the one on the inside. Easy fix ordered the part through a local gunsmith think i was like $15 and changed both myself very easy.

Offline Big_D

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
dirty or bad extractor

as a former gunsmith who has literally fixed hundreds of these........what he said
"If it ain't freezin', it ain't fishin'"