Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: One Smart yote  (Read 4174 times)

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong??  I found the main fox and yote highway runs right between two swamps. The trail Looks to be used daily. I have got 4 fox and 2 yotes of it so far in 3 days. To some they may say hmm that’s good why is he crying??? :cry:   well I have a yote that is stepping around my snares? he has stepped around 4 of them I could see one but not 4.. Anyone have any ideas?    I covered my basics, snares boiled, wire boiled, used rubber gloves.         

Offline Grute Man

• Master Outdoorsman
  • White Bear Lake
Maybe set out a decoy for him to step around right into the REAL snare.   ;D
If ya don't know where ya are, go back to da beginnin.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I'll answer with a ?. How are you running the sets? What I'm getting at is sometimes a canine might shy away from foot prints in the snow. They might have had a situation in the past or just maybe a little extra disturbance near the set. A trapper can't make a set without letting the animal know they spent extra time there. Well you can but it depends on how you are transporting ur self to the sets. Also are you useing trail sets or are they baited? Are you walking in the trail, up to it or across it?
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
Maybe set out a decoy for him to step around right into the REAL snare.   ;D

LOL i have done that a couple of times with beavers when they dig around my conis i put a snare were there new run is and leave the coni there and the next day you will have the same beaver in your snare and coni.

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
Griz
You have a very good point. I had looked at that today when I was there.  I walk down there trail I use the same foot prints in as I do out and I do not leave the trail. I do not kneel down or anything.  O yeah I should say the snares are set a on trails not baited. The trail goes through the pine trees were you and I kind of walked that day. It follows the road through them.

I would not make a big fuss about this but I do not like being out smarted.. And by the size of his tracks he is a big one. I think I will try a pee pole set away from were the snares are and hopefully catch him with his leg in the air LOL 

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Would it be possible to walk acrossed the trail? Ya got a smart one. My thinkin is he sees ur tracks up to and they end. Whats normal about that? Many different things can be done to catch him. It prolly requires time  and inginuity but they already know how to recognize a snare which most animals never do, even after being caught in one. Don't know what but something Q'D him on snares or u being there. Some times it pays not to be so dang sneaky. Make it so dang obvious that only a fool would be fooled by it. Thats the decoy.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
should i put about 400 snares across the woods so soner or later he will slip up. lol

i put out a couple pee post coverd my tracks. hopefully i get his big smart A$$

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
You could try and foot snare em. Make shur there is no possibility of a deer or use a break away lock.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
i have never used a foot snare. would not even know were to get one at.. heard they work great though.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
You make them. A couple snare shops sell them but if you have the cable and fittings it's cheaper to make them.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
I am done with the traps, now its time to go to war. stepped around my snares dug up my traps. I have a deer carcus wired to a tree that he has been eating on.  time to bring out the gillie suit.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
I was just going to say bring out the 223 an play the dying bunny blues for him.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
I was just going to say bring out the 223 an play the dying bunny blues for him.

jus what i was thinking the wiley coyotes are suckers for the dyeing bunny blues  :violin:

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
well repo get your  A$$ up here and lets get him....  :rocker;

I get first shot