Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Minnewaska 1.23.08  (Read 6151 times)

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Minnewaska 1.23.08

As of January 6th, Fish On is now 100% under my ownership as I have bought out my partner.  I am excited to get everything set up again as we were closed for awhile.  We have all bait and tackle ready to go and will keep you posted on the remaining ice fishing as well as the beginning of SPRING CRAPPIES!!!  Can't wait!

Very good ice...people are starting to add their extensions to the ice auger.  I know I was almost down to the handle on the hand auger last night.  Makes a guy tired.

All accesses are in really good condition.  The city of Glenwood has been on top of maintaining the Beach access and the Lakeside Ballroom access.  DNR access is also top notch.

The panfish bite has been steady...nice sunnies from 9 - 10:30 am and 3 - 5 pm.  Crappies are more aggressive from 7 - 9 am and 5:30 - 8 pm.  Certainly see ALOT of sunnies and crappies swimming around during the day but they are more tight lipped...they can be caught though.  Watching the panfish on the Aqua Vu, the bigger one light the smallest jig with a small wiggler...smaller catched bigger.

Pike all over and some really nice sized ones as well.  Just about ever 5 to 10 minutes there is one coming through on the camera.

Walleye bite has really picked up.  I was out last night and caught 12, missed 5 and kept 5.  Nothing huge...all that were kept were 15 inches or so.  Alot of fun though with a bit about every 20 to 30 minutes.  Best time was 6pm to 3 am...I had alot of action between 2am and 3 am with even a double!  Big fathead with plain hook or jig...any hook seemed to be working.  15 ft. of water.

Fish On...and on...and on...and on!

Kyle

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
We stopped in there at your bait shop and picked up some minnows on Saturday. It was cold all weekend and we caught 1 small perch and 1 3# northern. Both times it was my wife. I was out of the fish house both times. I had a couple spots marked from before and they were both right on top of a road. I knew the cold weather would stop the bite, but just wanted to get out any way. We will be up a few more times this winter. Maybe you can give us a few tips on where to go. There was a young lad working in your bait shop when we stopped to buy bait.
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline Iceberg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Congratulations Kyle.

:rocker; :rocker; :rocker; :rocker;
A small group of thoughtful people could change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.
Margaret Mead

Offline Realtree

• Master Outdoorsman
  • MNO Member #128
    • The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club and Straight River Archery Club

Congratulations Kyle !!!    :party3:

Thanks for the great report also!  :happy1:    :fishing:
The "20" Rifle & Pistol Club-Board Member
Straight River Archery Club-Board Member
Youth Archery Instructor
Archery enthusiast
Deer hunter
Coyote eradicator
Bow-fishing freshman

Offline HOTROD

• Outdoorsman
Nice report.

What depth have you been catching the walleyes in?

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Minnewaska update 1.31.08

I have been getting my walleyes in 14 ft of water.  However, I have also heard of some good bites out into 16 ft.  Then again...I have a couple of spear guys come in and tell me that they see walleyes swim thru in 4 to 6 feet of water.

I was using big fatheads but other guys have also had good luck on small shinners.

It has been cold but we have a nice warm up coming...I personally think that fish eat all of the time, it is just getting them to bite your bait/hook.  I know I eat all of the time! ;D

There is still a really good panfish bite.  I have the camera down and it seems the biggers sunnies still want the smallest hook with just a couple of wigglers.  The fish are down there during the day but are most aggressive in the morning from 9-11 and evening from 3-5.

I HAVE SHRIMP!  I have gotten some people started on shrimp and they are really having good success...they keep coming back with smiles on their faces to get more shrimp.  I have a group of guys that are catching 12 to 14 inch perch on the shrimp but they won't way where.  I have had some people come over to get their shrimp on the way up to Mille Lacs as well.  Usually you get about 30 to 36 shrimp for $2.50...but we are giving you a really good scoop (50 to 75) for $3.00.  Good deal!

I HAVE AQUA VU XL50s as well for $180.00 at the store if you are looking for a good 7 inch screen with the tri-pod.  In store sale only but can ship for about $14.00 additional.  Gotta see what is down there!

Should be a great weekend on the lake with the temps getting in the mid 20s...just a reagular warm spell considering the negative 22 temps we have been dealing with.  Ohhh...there is plenty of ice!!  All landings are in great shape.

Kyle
Fish On...and on...and on...and on

Offline LandDr

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
SHRIMP!

I just had to post this.  I got some guys started on shrimp and it is really working!  They are saying that the panfish just look at their waxie and swim off.  But the shrimp...they nail it right away.

One old fella came in and I tried to get him to get some...but no way.  So I gave him a few to take with him.  He was back in within the hour getting a full scoop of them!  He said the panfish just would not stop.

Better get some shrimp!!

Also...the Boy Scout Fishing Derby is tomorrow on Minnewaska.  Come on over...it is going to be really nice out.

Later

Kyle
Fish On...and on...and on...and on