Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: sluggish crappies  (Read 1892 times)

Offline ra56120

so yesterday (valentines day) being i'm single and my buddy who has an ice house is single we decide to go do a little fishing and finally figured out how to hammer the crappies. I don't know if this is old news or not but i figured i'd post it anyways. Well normally we just stick the rods in rod holders and watch the rod tips but lately we get bites but no takers. so yesterday we tried something new, we used very very light foam bobbers with enough weight to hold them right at the water level so they'd be very easy to pull under. we also used glow in the dark jigs and all we had were dead minows. once we'd charge up the jigs under the light we'd drop them down, (about 12-13 feet in 16ish deep water) and almost right away we'd get one. but they'd just barely pull the bobber under sometimes not at all. my bobber would go down about 1/4 of an inch under the water and just sit there so i set the hook and had them one after the other. it ended up working very well.

so figured maybe someone else will ahve luck with this, anyone have any other good crappie tips?

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
When times get tough my best suggestion is going with the 2 lb test and small jigs.  Then deterine between a mnnow and a wax worm or larva.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
crappies are a very finicky fish , and there so soft mouthed that sometimes you have to fish them like that ! othertimes they can just hammer your bait . just depends on your presentation , and what your offering them !

Offline Pegg

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I have great presentation. :rotflmao:
If today was perfect. There would be no need for tomorrow.

Offline Fish Guide

• Outdoorsman
    • Minnesota Fishing Guide Service

NOt uncommon at all, it is sometimes called "dead sticking"  Although one of my favorite ways to catch sluggish crappies is to go loud and fast--jig a small swedish pimple type of spoon with a waxie / or minnow head on it, you will be surprised how many you trigger...and how much bigger they are, good luck
"To put fish in the box, fish outside the box"

Minnesota Fishing Guide Service
www.minnesotaguideservice.com