Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Lake Attack  (Read 6324 times)

Offline MT Net

• Outdoorsman
Last weekend, I needed to make and adjustment to our boatlift on Vermilion.  We just got in from a successless morning on the lake; no wind, no clouds, 80 degree + temps, and hot sun.  I burnt my knees and tops of my feet.  A dip in the lake to cool down would be refreshing; and a good time to make those adjustments to the lift. 

I had to crawl under the lift's structure to get into the center of the lift to do my work.  A few big rocks needed to be moved by either pushing them with my feet, of lifting them. That's about when I got hit, and hit hard in the back of my leg.  At first I thought I had dropped a rock.  But no, I got hit again, but harder.  Somewhat spooked, I moved toward the front of the lift.  I got hit again on my ankle; I lifted my leg and reached down to feel the aera hit.  That's when I felt something brush by high....very high between my legs, perilously close to my swimsuit area, then it nipped my fingers!   :o

With the gracefullness of a one legged blind duck, I scurried up onto the rack and clung on looking over my shoulder at whatever beast it was attacking me.  Visions of a large snapping turtle, or hungry muskie danced in my head.  Ron was laughing at my hysterically trying to figure out my actions.  He was the first to spot it and yelled out "there it is, it's huge"!

I scrambled up onto the dock where we dropped  jigs and minnows to try to catch the beast.  Many attempts where he hammered the jigs, but I did manage to catch him.  Turns out th eattacking fish was a nice fat 17 inch smallmouth bass.  We figured he set up his nest and paternal duties under our boat and lift.  Feisty bugger, a 3.5 pound fish taking on a 220 pounder.

I left him to his duties, I even dropped him some crawlers that he promptly swallowed down.  I'll adjust the lift when his younguns leave the nest. 

Offline Harold

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Cool story Mr. Net.  BTW, when do you leave for your Bdub adventure?  Or did you go already?
My initial response was to sue her for defamation of character, but then I realized that I had no character.

Offline MT Net

• Outdoorsman
B-Dub trip was scrubbed due to illness, (pretty serious, cancer).  THe group went to Vermilion last week instead.   More comfortable that way until his recovery.

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
That's a great story MT Net.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
You mind if I borrow that story for my client's entertainment out on the boat after I run out of my own material?
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline MT Net

• Outdoorsman
???   Huh?  You run out of material?   :D

Sure, I don't mind, just as long as you sign my royalty waiver which pays me a 6 pack per story told.   ;)

Offline Dr.Bob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Wow MT - Good story!

Did you have any bad dreams?

On a serious note - I hope recovery goes well for whomever is battling the cancer!