Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Prime time for smallies!  (Read 3074 times)

Offline Jon Navratil

• Minnow
    • Navigator Guide Service
My favorite time of the year on the upper Miss is happening now or should I say it has been happening for the past month. Topwater smallies that is. Anything from buzz baits to poppers will take a batch of fish with a decent shot at a 19"+ fish. The time of the day doesn't really seem to matter. Stable water levels and improving water clarity are more important than time of the day, at least in my experience. I look for sand and gravel flats with small dips or depressions in the river to deflect the current. A good indication on whether you are in the right area is if you see surfacing fish. These fish will most likely chase just about anything you toss. As summer rolls along, the fish have a tendency to spread out across these areas actively feeding all day long. 

I usually have at least 4 rods along with different shapes and sizes of topwater presentations. If you get a swing and miss on one, go right back at that spot with something different even a weightless rigged tube, fluke or senko type plastic.

For the next month (or so) you will find me some where on the upper Mississippi river chasing my favorite species.  :happy1:

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
please welcome Jon to the MNO family, he is our newest field staff
reporter. he will be reporting on the upper miss and some area
lakes. check out his website.
welcome to the MNO team Jon!

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Welcome aboard Jon!   :happy1:  :fishing:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Weclome aboard!! Look forward to hearing more about that area.

Do you just guide in that area or do you guide other bodies of water as well??

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
welcome aboard jon  ::welcome::

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Great to have you here Jon.
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline Jon Navratil

• Minnow
    • Navigator Guide Service
Thanks for the welcome guys. I only guide on the river now Tim. Two years ago I hooked up with blazer jets out of Missouri and decided at that point I should focus on the river.

This past weekend the fish were on a tear for topwaters! Water clarity is decent and the fish are chasing anything that makes noise.

If you want to see the boat I am using for shallow water, go here:

It's an affordable river solution to prop boats.
« Last Edit: July 07/28/08, 07:23:20 AM by Jon Navratil »