Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: What kind of tree is this?  (Read 2953 times)

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
The bark is thin, almost transparent with a redish tint.  Every other year this tree produced small berries about the size of a bb.  Any ideas?

[attachment deleted by admin]
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline UncleDave

• Master Outdoorsman
Check the internet.  I have been for the last 1/2 hour and I give up.  Maybe I don't have all of the info needed as checking the sites it depends on if the "catkins"/seed flower or not, etc.  I tried.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
might be a River Birch
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
The bark does resemble a river birch but I don't think they have the berries.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I have a friend that is a landscaper. I will ask him sunday.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I just checked (I have a river birch out back) and they have many points the leaves and the one in the picture has smooth edges.  Also, I see no sign of berries on the river birch.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline troutman

• Outdoorsman
It could be a type of choke cherry . that is what it looks like to me 

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Could be an Amur cherry.

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
where is my buddy dotch when you need him... :rotflmao:

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO

LEAVES: Alternate, simple, 2"-4" long, tapering or rounded at the base, abruptly pointed tips and sharply serrate margins, bright green above, paler beneath.

TWIGS: Stout, smooth, light brown to reddish brown, with numerous yellowish lenticels. Unlike Fire cherry, the lenticels are not evidently horizontally elongated. Bruised twigs have a disagreeable odor.

FRUIT: A juicy, dark red to black drupe, about ½" in diameter, in open, elongated, drooping clusters. The flavor is harsh and astringent.

BARK: Young trunks shiny, smooth, brownish, peeling off in thin film-like layers exposing the green inner bark. Older trunks dark gray, roughened by shallow fissures.

GENERAL: A fast-growing but short-lived shrub or small tree, rarely exceeding 25'. Found in a variety of open habitats, thickets, roadsides and upland woods throughout the Commonwealth, but more abundant in the western counties. One of the first species to revegetate cleared areas, it is attractive in spring flower and provides food to several dozen species of birds and mammals.

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Could be an Amur cherry.

You are correct!

I checked it out on this site:  http://www.midwestlandscapeplants.org/plantdetails.cfm?speciesid=767

Thanks everyone for your help!  When I moved here 8 yrs ago, this tree was growing crooked (at an angle). The birds like Cedar Waxwings (one of my favorites) loved to eat the berries.  Well after last weeks storms a large branch was split off of the main trunk-the end result is about 2-3' of exposed trunk.  So I had to cut it down.  It would have looked bad, and besides been open for disease. 

I might plant a couple of these next spring, hence the reason I wanted to know what kind it was!  Thanks again everyone for your help!  :happy1:  This is one reason why I like MNO-people willing to help one another.   :toast:
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
where is my buddy dotch when you need him... :rotflmao:

randy

Busy tearing his hair out trying to figure out what the tree was, where else? Kudos to dakids and Tim who were Johnny on the spot and figured it out. Was about ready to do what I usually do when someone dumps decomposing plants or insects on my desk and asks me to identify them: Ask them a bunch of questions! :bonk:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
I was a to a friends house the other day and they had the same tree in his front yard. Asked him and he said it was a cherry tree. I searched and found nothing on-line and then it appeared right in front of my face yesterday.