Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: mississippi and st.croix rivers  (Read 3135 times)

Offline Denny100

Was on the St.Croix monday 12-21-08, out from ferry crossing, by Clydes Marine. Ice was 10-1/2 inches. Went south along Mn. side along Hi-way 95, put house out from nesting post in 12' of water, caught 6 perch, not very big.  1/2 pd.  Will be back over weekend, it's a 8x8 brown shack, stop in, say high. Did not drive my truck yet, took out with ATV.

Denny100

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
I'll be down there once they start fishing the Wisconsin side in that 35-40 foot hole. Anyone over there yet?
MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline pheasantman2121

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I heard that the hole can be a very good place to get into some nice fish.
For all your HVAC needs contact me at
763-587-5796

Labs 4 Me

Offline Spinach

• Outdoorsman
  • Woodbury Mn
Yeah once the ice is safe to drive on. Its always a day bite though..... nothing after sunset. Also be prepared to fish without your sonars at times, the current is so strong in that area that your ducer wont find your jig. Some days its ok and others it's not for reading your bait and jigs.

MNO Fishing Reports
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN
Support MNO Sponsors
AKA "Spinach"

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
I do a lot of hard water fishing on the St. Croix, and have been out a few times this year.  Last time out, I came home with 10 crappies between 10 and 13 inches, and releaseing a bunch more.  All were caught near Bayport.  As far as the transducer problem, here's what you do:  You drill holes that you are going to fish out of in your house, preferably 2 or 3 feet apart, facing east and west.  Then, about a foot or two downstream, you drill another hole, and put your transducer down that third hole.  That way, when the durrent takes your lure as it drops, it will show on the transducer, as well as the fish.  I have found this tactic to be very effecting in seeing my lure as well as seeing when fish are looking at my bait. 

Also, if anyone wants to try heading out Sunday, e-mail me at timothylarryatyahoodotcom
walleyes, pannies, esox, cats, I don't care, let's go fishing!!

Offline MnMoose

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Went out this morning on the croix  theres plent of traffic  it almost looks like the pick are replacing the boat traffic..and the permanent houses are obseen!!! in the villages in spots you damn near cant even walk between em whats that all about.  I tried two spots... under the power line and then to the south of that.  No luck but tons of people out there...It was my first time out there.  If ya got any pointers please let me know..PM if you dont wanna advertise info...all appreciated

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
Fishing under the power lines can be hit and miss.  The villages are there for a reason.  The village basically straight accross from the bayport launch is where I have most of my luck.  I have sent you a PM moose, and will be calling you later tonight to try to set up a time to fish next week. 

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
Went out this morning on the croix  theres plent of traffic  it almost looks like the pick are replacing the boat traffic..and the permanent houses are obseen!!! in the villages in spots you damn near cant even walk between em whats that all about.  I tried two spots... under the power line and then to the south of that.  No luck but tons of people out there...It was my first time out there.  If ya got any pointers please let me know..PM if you dont wanna advertise info...all appreciated

MNMoose, going by the town can be hit or miss. I was out one week and did well on bigger crappies, the next week produced nothing. Move around a little if you aren't getting anything. I go north of the town a ways on the Wisconsin side. Head toward the power lines but not all the way there. 20 to 35 FOW should give you some fish. Nice crappies and walleyes mixed in.
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.

Offline kingfisher1

• Master Outdoorsman
agreed.  Drill a bunch of holes until you find the right depths and start marking fsh on the flasher.  It's always nice to have a few extra holes drilled for mobility.