Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Which Power Ice Auger is the BEST?  (Read 6891 times)

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
I think my Jiffy Model 30 10" is taking a dump on me.  I had the blade sharpened before this season and the carb redone at the end of last season.  Now when I drill it seems like it does not want to pull itself through the ice.  Almost like something in the gearing is going bad and losing torque.  I am not an expert on how they are made, but I am assuming there is some sort of clutch in it to prevent you from breaking your arms if it gets stuck at high RPM's.  Is this true??  If there is and it is going bad I will probably start saving to get a Strike Light.  I just do not need to drop more money into this 10 year old auger that weighs about 40 pounds.  I am a pretty big guy and drilling 5-6 holes is about as many as I want to do at a time with this beast!

I'm not sure about how to fix yours but I can offer a place to check out. There's a place called D-Rock in New Brighton. They are a landscape place but also an authorized dealer of strikemaster. They do auger repair on all kids of augers and are great to work with. You could call them and explain to them what's going on and they may be able to help you out.

If you don't want to stick the money into it, ask them if they have any of their Demo Strikemasters left. Hard to believe they would this time of year, but worth a try. I picked up a brand new one last year, drilled maybe twenty holes, for around $300. Little bit of a savings.
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.

Offline thunderpout

• Master Outdoorsman
Yeah, those guys are great.... they showed me how to tune up my old Jiffy #30 on the cheap... and it runs awesome!  The thing is about 25 yrs old( I aint joshin ya!)...for what I paid for it, thats about $10 a year.... thats a pretty good deal, eh?  Gonna run it till it dies... or till I do from punchin holes with that big ole bad boy... ;D