Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: chicory?  (Read 2952 times)

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I have been argueing with my brother about what type of plant this is.  I say it is chicory and he says it isn't.  What does every one here think it is?
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
That is a tough one. A REALLY tough one. My chicory is a lot wider and is only one plant like rape or turnips. I really can't help I'm sorry. I don't think it is but this is a tough one.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
That is a tough one. A REALLY tough one. My chicory is a lot wider and is only one plant like rape or turnips. I really can't help I'm sorry. I don't think it is but this is a tough one.

Agreed. I spent a half hour last night just looking and comparing this plant to pictures of chicory with no resolution.

Any experts out there?

Offline mnnate

• Outdoorsman
Its chicory. From a google search.>The leaves of Chicory look very much like dandelion leaves. They grow up to six inches long and are narrow with large teeth. These leaves grow low to the ground.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Thanks for the help.  I have also planted and marked a spot with a cage around it to prove it to my little bro.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Hmmm...picture above looks more like a dandelion than chicory. I'm not a weed taxonomist but I spend a fair amount of time identifying weeds in varying states of condition, including dried out, rotting in a plastic bag and dead in a wad on my desk. Hard to see some of the key identifying characteristics in the original pics and there are several weeds pictured, including what appears to be common yarrow. Some ?'s generated from Weeds of the North Central States and Weeds of the Great Plains reference books to narrow it down dakids:

Does the stem or tap root contain a milky juice or latex when broken off? Are the basal leaves alternate with long petioles or stems attaching them to the main plant? Are the stem leaves sessile (attached directly to the stem) with the base of the leaf clasping the stem? Do the leaves become smaller as you move up the stem? These things would tend to point you in the direction of chicory. One thing for sure, if it's chicory it will have a blue flower. Very common roadside weed across parts of MN and much of IL and IA.
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)