Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Striped gopher plinking: What do you think?  (Read 5133 times)

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Do you think it's okay for me to shoot from the dining room table out of the sliding glass window at gophers in the pasture with my .22? Or do you think I'd be better off with a .17 caliber for those longer shots? Either way, at least the dining room table gets some use. By the way my wife is real impressed, not! I'll hang up and listen... ;D
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
.22 cal is fine... but I learned if you have a semi auto... that if you hold a brown paper shopping bag under the gun where the shell ejects... it will help you out a lot when you are trying to find where they fly off too.

or, at least I have heard that before... :whistling:
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
oh, I also "heard" you should put them in the trash after too... or the dog likes to get into them.

Again, so I've been told...
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
You may want to remember to open the sliding door first. ;D

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
It has been my experience that a .22 with a 4x scope is a fine weapon for these kind of tactical hunting experiences. I do prefer the single shot bolt action which removes the problem of the spent casings finding their way under the fridge.  Also if you get your wife involved as a spotter, you can share the experience. Ear protection is not needed using the .22  unless you want only to have to read your spotters lips. Eye contact will then have to be made with your spotter as she may take the quiet time between shots to make off topic conversation in regards to the Honey Do List. One more thought, the good china does not make a good rest, seems that stuff breaks pretty easy.
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
Here's something you might be interested in:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/v/ecInL9ZIIAo&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1[/youtube]

Or this one:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrFFczAq43Y[/youtube]

Always carry extra mags!!!!!
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Wow! Could you imagine having had one of those as a kid? Talk about laying down withering fire! The house sparrows in the barn or the gophers in the yard and pasture wouldn't stand a chance Ah, the gophers have had a rough weekend with the Mrs. being at work though. Keeps a guy's eye sharp for squirrel season. Looks like we're a long way from running out of gophers any time soon. Most of the spent shell casings land on my desk or under it. Had to dislodge one from the printer but no harm, no foul. Think I've managed to find all of them except one. As long as she doesn't find it first we're in good shape.  :whistling:
Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Do you think it's okay for me to shoot from the dining room table out of the sliding glass window at gophers in the pasture with my .22? Or do you think I'd be better off with a .17 caliber for those longer shots? Either way, at least the dining room table gets some use. By the way my wife is real impressed, not! I'll hang up and listen... ;D

I plugged one saturday afternoon with the 50....that was cool.

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
how far are your shots? PB is 94 yds...

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman

randy

And don't forget about the screen door too...

.17 works just fine... I "heard" they work get in my back yard for muskrats.... :whistling:
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I shot many a gopher on the farm with the .22.  My dad forgot to open the screen when he shot a rabbit a few years ago.  :rotflmao:

***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Online Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman

randy

.17 works just fine... I "heard" they work get in my back yard for muskrats.... :whistling:

I ditched the screen long ago as it made me less stealthy. I realize the shells are more expensive but for those 50 - 100 yard shots I have to pass on with the .22, a .17 might be fun to have. The 4x scope on the .22 is sighted in for 10 - 30 yard shots for squirrel hunting. How loud is the report on the .17 compared to the .22 for those dining room shots? Never shot one or been around anyone who has one while they were shooting it.;D

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman

randy

I ditched the screen long ago as it made me less stealthy. I realize the shells are more expensive but for those 50 - 100 yard shots I have to pass on with the .22, a .17 might be fun to have. The 4x scope on the .22 is sighted in for 10 - 30 yard shots for squirrel hunting. How loud is the report on the .17 compared to the .22 for those dining room shots? Never shot one or been around anyone who has one while they were shooting it.;D

I don't know really since I stay about 3 feet inside the house and crack the door about 4 inches but when I have heard the report from my neighbor who also shoots a .17, it sounds like a tennis ball hitting the window.  He sticks his barrel out of his house. And we're about 60 yards apart.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Just to let ya know you can put a pop bottle on the end of your gun. Shoot one hole through it and after that it don't effect accuracy but acts as a silencer. Your wife will never know your doing it, unless you forget to pick up your empties. It's best not to use semi autos anyway, not as accurate and if tube fed then you may have to use a potato instead of a bottle. They work but not as well and you have to drill them out with a pencil before or you just blow the end of the spud off.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson