Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Bowhunters Paradise-Brackettville, TX  (Read 5636 times)

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
What a trip is all I am going to say.

Hasnt snowed in 20 years down there, so of course, me being 20, it needed to snow down there. Got about 2 inches of snow plus some ice and it was pretty discouraging. Ten miles from the mexican border and we get snow.

Jim Titchenall, who is the guide, owner and cook put on an awesome show.

The first night, I got in late because of the weather, so we went out driving his property just looking for critters. Saw some black buck, fallow. hogs, a ton of white tails, little bit of everything.

The next morning I wake up at 4 am to having frezing rain pelting the windows. Not too excited about that.

Went out on stand for a couple of hours and didnt see anything that really got me too excited so when Jim picked me up, I changed into some new dry camo and we went out on a spot and stalk.

Ended up stalking five different groups of rams, all five were within  range. The first four groups I drew on, and Jim kept telling me to let go, we'll get something bigger.

Ended up spotting this one, cut the tracks and away we went. I was hoping to get something a lot closer of a shot, but it was late in the hunt. Shot could have been a little farther forward, but still plenty good to sing the blues on him. So I am not going to complain too much.

Offline DaveO

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Nice going Chris, That must have been one fun time. Was very nice of you to bring some good ole Minnesota weather with you. I'm sure you didn't hear about that at all,,,ha ha

How far of a shot was it?,, Glad yea had fun
Shut up and Shoot

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Yup hopefully we dont bring thesnow for long beards this spring.

It was 47.

Offline JohnWester

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Kabetogama, MN
cool hunt... you going to mount it?
If a gun kills people then I can blame a pen for my misspells?

IBOT# 286 big_fish_guy

Offline ChrisWallace

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Yup, I am having Oak Island Taxidermy do it for me. I bow hunt on his fathers land in the fall, ducks, geese, whitetails. His attention to detail is incredible.

He also does a majority of the mounts for the Gander Mountain Stores. Super nice guy and the mount is going to be beautiful. Its a full body mount that willl be on an oak platform and on top of it will be three rocks, so it will give the impression it walking down the side of a canyon. It will be broadside to the viewer and the head will looking at you and slightly down. I am excited for it but the mount is costing more than the hunt. But its a trophy of a lifetime and its a shame to the animal not to give it full justice, which Josh will do for me.