Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Food Plot and Tower Stand  (Read 5723 times)

Offline fishnutbob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
  • Leech lake guide, Walker, Mn.
Picked up my Tower Stand Mon. and placed it near my Food Plot. Plot is growing nice should be better next year but the deer have found it. A little late but Im ready  :fudd:

A few Pic Of Stand in the truck and in the field just got done today.

[attachment deleted by admin]
Bob Auel
Leech lake Guide with www.leisureoutdooradventures.com Guide Boat 2007 19' 3" warrior
218-836-2014

Offline BiggA

• Master Outdoorsman
Is that thing standing on 2x4 for legs?

Offline fishnutbob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

What is your ? Can you see the Pics. :scratch:
Bob Auel
Leech lake Guide with www.leisureoutdooradventures.com Guide Boat 2007 19' 3" warrior
218-836-2014

Offline bonecollecter82

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

His question is are the legs 2by4 or maybe 2by6?? The sure look like they are in the picture
What makes a BoneCollector?
They are the hunters that have the passion to go to the ends of the earth, in pursuit of the basic hunter instincy that was instilled in us at birth and is so often taken away in society.

Offline fishnutbob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

His question is are the legs 2by4 or maybe 2by6?? The sure look like they are in the picture

My post was to show the stand in the plot I didnt ask for an opinion on how it was built. Who cares what they look like in the pic its for me to use and its a sound stand.

Im happy with it how about the Food Plot is that ok for you guys.? :scratch: 

But if you must know its 2X4 with alot of supports.
Bob Auel
218-836-2014

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
Plot Looks great to me!  But the box is the more interesting with the 2x4 braces.....  I have seen the 2x4 holders that Shadow hunter uses on their light weight boxes  and wondered how stable they were.  My two boxes both have 4x4 braces with Shadow hunter elevator attachments ..sturdy but requires at least 3 or 4 guys to set up.   Did you make your box or Locally made?  Im thinking of putting another box up after season for next year looking at options...thinking of a Shadowhunter vinyl one.
Only comment on the food plot and box is that I have been told its best to put the boxes up..Long before season ie a year or two to let the deer get use to them.

Offline fishnutbob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Plot Looks great to me!  But the box is the more interesting with the 2x4 braces.....  I have seen the 2x4 holders that Shadow hunter uses on their light weight boxes  and wondered how stable they were.  My two boxes both have 4x4 braces with Shadow hunter elevator attachments ..sturdy but requires at least 3 or 4 guys to set up.   Did you make your box or Locally made?  Im thinking of putting another box up after season for next year looking at options...thinking of a Shadowhunter vinyl one.
Only comment on the food plot and box is that I have been told its best to put the boxes up..Long before season ie a year or two to let the deer get use to them.

I bought it In Mora a retired guy builds them on Main street for $ 550.00. The time and material he has in it I wouldnt try to build it Ill just buy one from him.

The 2x4 for the bottom make it light when I took it to the field I put it up by myself and with the help from Tammy and my wheeler. Got it done but it took a little work not to drop it backwords. :happy1:

Only Place he uses 2x4 are on the corners the bracing between corners are 1x4 then two cross braces and it comes with a ladder six windows and he puts carpet in it. I did add some bracing on the bottom and ill add more to it and also tie it to two trees just to be safe in high winds.

4X4 for the bottom I never would of set it up with two people.

Correct on the plot and the tower I heard that also get them up early. Hopefully they like the food in the plot and come to eat and dont notice the stand.

I put it up for the ladies and Kids to hunt in bad weather all day and stay warm.  :cold:

Im sure Ill like it when it hits -10 with wind when I hunt the smokepole season.
Bob Auel
218-836-2014

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
we always have the intention to build early but it never works out that way. the deer never seem to even acknowledge the late addition to the woods.. I usually take a few sapplings/or branches from trimming the lanes and tie em to the tree for the first year.. don't know if it helps or not but it makes me feel better.  one of our first freestanding platform stands is nicknamed the titanic because 2 guys set it up and at one point the legs buckled and it twisted she went down hard.. but we ended up piecing it back together.. the legs on that one were the small ends of telephone poles... a little over done but good and solid for the kids.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Guys better check their tower stands before gun season starts.  A lot of tower stands got blown over during last weeks storm.  I saw quite a few laying on the ground this weekend.  Also, if you have to drive logging roads or your trails, be prepared to do some clearing work.  We had numerous trees across our trails.  Most were dead popplar but there were some uprooted big trees. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline BiggA

• Master Outdoorsman

My post was to show the stand in the plot I didnt ask for an opinion on how it was built. Who cares what they look like in the pic its for me to use and its a sound stand.

Im happy with it how about the Food Plot is that ok for you guys.? :scratch: 

But if you must know its 2X4 with alot of supports.
Just asked asimple question . Did not mean to question your judgement. I as a carpenter would not put my kids that high in the air on 2x4 uprights. I totally understand though why people would do it as far as weight I am sure it is safe just not for me. It does like nice in the plot though good work.

Offline fishnutbob

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
 I would rather had it made with 4x4 but Ill had some more supports to the 2x4 base to beef it up and then a couple of ropes to two trees should be good and safe.
Bob Auel
218-836-2014

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Guys better check their tower stands before gun season starts.  A lot of tower stands got blown over during last weeks storm.  I saw quite a few laying on the ground this weekend.  Also, if you have to drive logging roads or your trails, be prepared to do some clearing work.  We had numerous trees across our trails.  Most were dead popplar but there were some uprooted big trees. 

I went to check on a tree stand the other day just to make sure someone wasn't in it (we have some problems in that particular corner of the property) and as I approached I couldn't find the tree. Upon closer inspection the tree was gone! Blown over. Luckily I wasn't in it! Scary. On the bright side the stands were fully intact and unharmed during this traumatic incident. I wonder what the stands were thinking when the tree blew over... poor stands. Just glad they made it out ok.

Offline HUNTER2

• Master Outdoorsman
I have 2 of those tower stands bought from Runnings. One has the black box on it and the other I just used plywood. The legs have holes in the bottom for some tubes to go into the ground. Well the first year they didn't hold. So the next year I tried dog screw in's on all for legs. The wind blew them both over. I guess a guy will have to pore some cement and lag screw them down. Those plastic stands are very noisy so you have to be carefull. I also built 2 wooden ones that are fully enclosed with windows and a door. I think I have about 275 or 300 in each one.
HUNT & FISH TELL YA DROP
I.B.O.T.'s 249 & 250
 Handle every stressful situation like a dog.  If
                        you can't eat it or hump it.

Piss on it and walk away

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
Let's remember to keep the discussion civil and on topic.  Thanks.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.