Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: seeding  (Read 1966 times)

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
question.. spent the weekend tilling and planting.  my question is distributing seeds... I've just been tossing handfuls but I always seem to run short as compared to what they say the amount of seed should cover??? the seed this weekend was white and red clover.. very small seeds. what do you guys use to spread your seed? and does it cover the area they say? or do you just put it on thick? just looking for some advice on what works best to spread those small seeds around (my menards spreader the seads just drain out)
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
I use a small hand spreader for the smaller seeds. Like you said I too have problems with my pull behind broad cast spreader dropping seed to fast. You can always try taping a small piece of paper inside the spreader to cover half the trap door. Basically, I don’t think you’re alone on this.
 Try To do whatever you need to do, to drop less seed.  Take the time to go over the area 2-3 times if you need to use us all the recommended seed
Are you a hunter or do you just kill things? Respect the wildlife!

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
You should always try to use the seeding rates because over seeding can be a big problem. Clovers it's not that big of a deal. Brassicas can be stunted very easily and your plot will only get about 3 inches tall. I use a little hand spreader and set it on the lowest setting.
Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
A couple years ago we bought a Moultrie Food Plot Spreader.  It attaches to back of your ATV rack and is powered by the ATV's 12 volt battery.  This has a couple advantages over the pull behind ground driven models.  Getting to and driving in a plot is often a rough process and often difficult to pull the spreader. (try crossing a swamp with one).  The one attached to the ATV just goes where you go, no problems. 
To address the seed rate issue, when seeding clover or other very small seeds, we first calculate the amount of seed and fertilizer we plan to use and then mix the two in buckets prior to putting in the spreader.  We found it's a lot easire to evenly spread 105 pounds of "mixture" than 5 pounds of seed over a given area.  The only thing to remember is to mix the seed/fertilizer just prior to spreading to prevent the small seeds from settling to the bottom. 
I usually set the rate or my speed to require at least two passes over the given area.  That usually makes it easire to get an even application.  Good luck with your plots. 
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***