Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: "The BIG Gamble"  (Read 4353 times)

Offline Plauer

• Outdoorsman
  • It's all about "Herd Management!"
To plant early, or not to plant early...?

That is the question we asked ourselves. Well needless to say, we rolled the dice... By April 29th we had all our food plots prepped and ready to go, and by April 30th we had our Soy Beans, Rye Grass, and "Frigid Forage Trophy Clover Blend" in the ground and planted. I am happy to say the gamble payed off! We are a full month ahead of schedule and our food plots are doing great! I know there are some of you out there who are thinking "They planted soy beans that early?!" I know it sounds crazy, but like I said before that is the gamble we took. We also have our mineral sites in and established. I think too many of us over look the value of having mineral sites on your property. While your food plots take time to grow where are the deer suppose to get their nutrients from? There is no better way in my opinion then to have a well established "Mineral site." (Don't forget to freshen these sites all year) So get your food plots going, get your mineral sites established, and before you know it your property will be the envy of your neighbors. Let me know if any of you took the "Gamble" and planted early. If so, what were your results?
It's all about "Herd Management!"

Offline Plauer

• Outdoorsman
I'll get some pictures up shortly...

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
Looking forward to seeing them!

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
We took the gamble last year and were bit HARD.  We had to replant the entire plot.  We now wait because the time and money is something you can't get back.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Plauer

• Outdoorsman
I agree. Putting in food plots can be an expensive venture, and who can put a price tag on the sweat, and hard work that goes into it? But having said that, some times the weather cooperates, and the timing is just right, and the gamble pays off as it did this year making it all worth it. I'm not saying we will do it again next year. But who knows.... That's the gamble you have to make.

Offline Plauer

• Outdoorsman
Thanks "E" for posting those pics I sent to you! I appreciate it!

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
The pics are gone..... :cry: :cry: If you need help reposting them, Let me know.

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline Plauer

• Outdoorsman
I was having problems loading them yesterday as well. Looks like the problem is still there. I'll try again. Thanks Randy!

Offline Big E

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
posted for PLauer

Let the small bucks walk. Don't assume the neighbors will shoot them if you don't. If you shoot him what chance does that buck have to grow......ZERO!

Offline cmpswampy

• Outdoorsman
Looks really good Paul. Cant wait to see them in about a month.
You cant shoot a 180 if you shoot a spike!

Offline bowhunter73

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Cedar, MN Member #113
I got two of my smaller ones planted on May 3rd. Then we had that cold spell and 1 ½ weeks of rain. I have not been up there to see how it’s doing yet maybe this weekend.
Still working on the new 1 acre plot. I had to rake out all of the field sod on the whole thing after disking and tilling. It was just too much dead sod on top of the soil to plant over it. It was tons of work but it looks like a 3rd year plot now.  Still need soil test and fertilizer.
 If you seen this plot you would think I really knew what I was doing. If it grows ½ as good as it looks, I will have your deer in it
Are you a hunter or do you just kill things? Respect the wildlife!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Lookin good guys! Excited to see it grow!

BH73 - I thought your plot looked pretty sweet. Your going to have one heck of a deer playground there this fall!

Offline Plauer

• Outdoorsman
Thanks Tim! Scott, if my deer come to yours, does that mean I can still hunt em? Lol! I wish I would have taken the pictures of the beans today. There are 3 times as many up today as compared to yesterday! All this hot weather we've been getting sure has been great! I poked my finger down in the soil, and there is still alot of moisture. Scott, post some pics when you get a chance. Would love to see them. I'm sure they have come up good too.