Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Full Moon Yutes  (Read 4397 times)

Offline TNT

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
8)
Came home the other night and while standing in the drive way, all i could hear in the back ground was the howling of the yutes. Sounded like two pairs callling back and forth, two NW of the yard and two NE of the yard, not to far off, nice snow cover and a full moon. Called a guy who had mentioned that himself and another bud might try some late night? calling and he was still at home, told him my story and he said that he would be over shortly. He came out and on the first series of howls the whole neighborhood lit up with howls, he had the four north of the yard singing and about four more to the south back in the river bottom answer also, With in 20 minutes he had 3 yutes coming to him from the south out of the river, he watched them for over 1/2 mile come across open fields and across the coulee towards him, when they got within about three hundred yards he was getting ready but them heard some snow crunching and looked north and 2 more coming at him,one at about 100 yards and the other sitting on the end of a tree row at about 175 yards, so he slowly turned and dropped the one at 100 in it's tracks,all he said was what a trill, 5 animals coming in strong, could have used another shooter that run. So the next night I joined him for a few hours and on the first set,after two series of howls, had one on us in less than ten minutes,pow, another yute down. Moved to the next spot a couple miles away and had another one answer on the second call and in he started to come, but as Mike? turned to get a shot knocked down some crunchy snow and the gig was up, the yute heard him off he went into the coulee and yapped for about ten minutes trying to warn any others about us. We tried a few more spots but no luck at them, but a good time out, looking forward to trying it again. The only thing is by 2 a.m. it was getting close to -15 and it didn't take long to cool off.? Got a few pics and will try to post them soon.?
TNT

Offline jigglestick

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Ice house rentals on Lake Winnibigosh
    • www.campjigglestick.com
very cool. how do you see at night? nvg or moon light good enough?
yes pics please. that sounds like a hoot, ..or is yute?
take a kid hunting and fishing!!

THWACK KILLS!!

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Looking forward to the pics....any help getting those pics up let me know.

Offline TNT

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Jig -
No NV, just moonlight, that is why fresh snow in a full moon work great. binocs are handy and scopes work ok, but NV scopes or goggles would be the ticket.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Boy sounds like a great time. Reminds me of sitting out in a fish house on a remote lake on a calm winter night. Could only hear my heater and the yutes. If I didn't hear them all I had to do was let out a howl and they all started talking again. Talk about outdoors at it's finest.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline beerguy

• Outdoorsman
all i can say is sweet
walk the extra distance till you are alone!!

BG