Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Cisco's for bait this winter/ next spring and summer!  (Read 3794 times)

Offline greatoutdoors

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2014, 2015, & 2016 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
As I have previously posted, the use of Cisco or Smelt for bait has been banned, effective October 4th, 2010, unless such bait has been taken from a non VHS lake, AND TREATED WITH MINERAL OIL, ALCOHOL, OR  BORAX/SALT FOR 14 DAYS BEFORE MARKETING.
I applied for and received the permit for treating the bait. 
Two if us have supplied bait shops from International Falls to the Gunflint Trail with almost every Cisco sold in northern Minnesota for over 20 years.
However, these new regs will make it impossible to wholesale them to these shops for a reasonable cost.
I have been testing the DNR approved methods, and placing them in these approved mixtures has made a product that I could not sell with a clear conscience.
They look terrible, eyes lose their color, stomachs begin to turn yellow, and this is only after 20 days or less.
With this said, there will be no Ciscos available in the state this year. 
This ruling came too late to have our lake tested for VHS (that is not there) but next year should be different , and we may have the frozen product back on the market if no other road blocks come up.
The Great Outdoors
419 East Sheridan Street
Ely, MN 55731 USA
218-365-4744

E mail:  thegreatoutdoors@frontier.com

Like Us on Face Book
https://www.facebook.com/jim.maki.14?ref=tn_tnmn#!/pages/Great-Outdoors-Bait-Tackle/1606420532911075

"The only Ely Bait Shop owned by a lifelong resident.

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Hey Jim,

Sorry to hear the process didn't work out for you. Glad to see you let your conscience be you guide regarding the marketing of an inferior product. You've got a good reputation and I can see you want to protect it.
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Dan R.

• Master Outdoorsman
So if I go to my local grocery store & buy some smelt & use them under my tipup I would be in violation of the law?
spuds@mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN (www.minnesotaoutdoorsman.com )

Offline greatoutdoors

• Master Outdoorsman
The Great Outdoors
419 East Sheridan Street
Ely, MN 55731 USA
218-365-4744

Like Us on Face Book
https://www.facebook.com/jim.maki.14?ref=tn_tnmn#!/pages/Great-Outdoors-Bait-Tackle/1606420532911075

Offline Dan R.

• Master Outdoorsman
That makes no sense to me, you can buy them to consume but can't use them for bait, thats  :bs:
spuds@mnoutdoorsman.com
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN (www.minnesotaoutdoorsman.com )

Offline greatoutdoors

• Master Outdoorsman
Yup, VHS doesn't affect humans, but can affect certain fish!!
You could have smelt purchased at the grocery store treated by someone with a permit to do so and use them for fishing, but only if the smelt did not come from Lake Superior.
These smelt must be labeled by the permitee with his name, permit number, date treated, lot number, and cannot be used within 14 days of being immersed in the mineral oil or alcohol.
The package and label must be in your posession when you are fishing and submitted to a warden if he checks your bait.
The Great Outdoors
419 East Sheridan Street
Ely, MN 55731 USA
218-365-4744

Like Us on Face Book

Offline Babes

• Outdoorsman
  • The Best Little Bait Shop in Ely!
    • Babes Bait & Tackle
GO is correct, the treated ciscoes don't look as good as the fresh/frozen ones from years past, but they are what we have to deal with since these new regulations took effect. We also are liscensed to preserve the ciscoes according to the guidelines set forth by the DNR, and we have an ample supply in house.
In spite of their appearance, people have been using salt preserved baits for over a hundred years, so it's really nothing new in that respect. The bright side of this process is that you won't have to deal with frozen bait and you will be able to store them in a cool space with no adverse effect on them.
If you need further info, feel free to give us a call at (219) 365-6930, or stop by the shop during normal business hours.
Happy New Year and good luck fishing!
Babes Bait & Tackle