Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: front hub bearings  (Read 2812 times)

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
anyone ever change out the front hub bearings on a dodge? started grinding this weekend.. I'm fairly mechanical thinking about attempting this myself.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline redbull135

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
well ever one I have done I took alot of heat and a big pry bar to separate the lower ball joint.  after that I used the heat to warm up the hub or if you have the option to take the hole thing and press it out that works too but I still had to heat it up. Good luck

Offline FireRanger

• Master Outdoorsman
I've heard not to use heat to put them on for sure. Taking them off, I'd do exactly what was said earlier.
Going South......in a manner of speaking!

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
2005 ram 1500... I may call around see what a shop would charge.. just hate spending the money if I don't have too.. and hate the idea of a mechnic taking it too me
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
2005 ram 1500... I may call around see what a shop would charge.. just hate spending the money if I don't have too.. and hate the idea of a mechnic taking it too me

Nothing against the local mechanic (I take most anything I'm unable to fix to ours hear in town).  But if I chose not to do this on my own I may take it to the Dodge dealer.  Here is my reason.  On things like this that may take an hour to a day (just an example I'm not sure how long it would take) the local mechanic is going to charge by the hour.  Where if you take it to the Dodge dealer they are going to have a computer saying the job takes 2 hours.  Then if it takes the day you still only pay 2 hours of labor.  Just a thought.  However a good Chilton's Book has always done me right in fixing it myself.  It usually come down to if I have time to fix it or not.
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
thanks for the feed back.. the chiltons makes it seem like a wham bam kinda deal.. however the research on the internet paints it out to be a a few hours of cussin fun over rusted bolts and what not. I wandered down to the neighbor who's a mechanic today.. I just hate hitting him up for help, if I don't have to.. on an upside he accepts beer as payment and usually shares a few

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman

I have old Crayons you could melt down and smear in there?   Would that help?  :scratch:
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
rest assured red.. I'll have it fixed in time to continue your sporting clays tutorial

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King

I have old Crayons you could melt down and smear in there?   Would that help?  :scratch:

Do the crayons come with a how-to manual with pictures drawn by said crayons? :rotflmao:
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes they do. I also have manuals completed in color-by-number if you like.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
the dog made me a crayon one time.. it was all the colors in the box mashed into one long crayon.. she left it in the yard for me to find.

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
the dog made me a crayon one time.. it was all the colors in the box mashed into one long crayon.. she left it in the yard for me to find.

Was there any yarn mixed in?  Could have been a great Christmas ornament to hang on the tree.   :scratch:

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
the sad thing is the same day I found the doody crayon I found a doody with about a buck in change in it... she's grown out of that stage.. thank god

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
Wait till she starts blowing bubbles out of her rear end when she gets into the Juicy Fruit...

Offline UplandObsession

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
So Im not too sure how dodge's wheel bearings are set in but I had mine in my 99 silverado completely grenade this fall and it took me less than 2 hours after acouple drinks to change it in a BP parking lot right next to "The Fort" bar in fort ripley. as long as you have a breaker bar and a punch and hammer it shouldnt be too difficult. But this is also coming from someone that went to school for auto technician for over a year...

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
they're all in a self contained "hub".. the neighbor got me some pricing and we're set to do it on sunday. I'm usually fairly mechanical, but this one I'm toss'n up the flag and getting some help on.

Offline redbull135

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
dont forget the beer it helps

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
Those are a bitch to do... The bolts that hold the "hub bearing" are hard to get to.

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
glad I had the neighbor step in.. he had all the good tools and the lift at work.. took him about 25 minutes.. would have taken me a few hours at home..