Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Chubby Darter  (Read 1948 times)

Offline The General

• MNO Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • Smackdown King
I seen these in Runnings the other day and have heard many people talk about them.  I'm thinking about getting a couple but at $6  a pop I'm only going to buy a couple.  So pretend you can only have one.  What size and color would you buy for crappies?  Walleyes?
Eastwood v. Wayne Challenge Winner 2011

The Boogie Man may check his closet for John Wayne but John Wayne checks under his bed for Clint Eastwood

Offline Woody

• Master Outdoorsman
I'm no expert by any means (if I was, I'd have a fish dinner every week!)  I went to Salmo's site and saw their selection:  http://www.salmofishing.com/lures/chubby_darter.html

As with any lure, I try to get a color/shape/size of the baitfish they feed on.  Time of season makes a difference as in the Fall, fish are hungrier than Oprah at an all you can eat restarant.   :whistling:  However in the winter fish are more lethargic.  Come spring they become more active again.  I was told by a couple of pro fishermen that in the fall you want to use larger lures as the fish are more apt to target larger baits. In the winter scale it back some as they are less active.

As far as colors, I like perch and shiner like lures.  So with Salmo I'd say Perch and Red Tail Chub for walleye.  And for crappie I like the Perch, Copper Gold & Luminescent Grey Dace. 

Of course it's all a matter of opinion.  And no one's opinion matters more when it comes lures than the fishs' !  :happy1: 
The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not. ~Thomas Jefferson

Got Freedom? Thank a Vet!!!
www.fawkinnae.com
www.atijigs.com

Offline meadowcreek

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I think they are hyped, lot like a lot of proudcts.  I was sponsered by salamo 2 years ago.  I wasn't all that impressed how they performed ice fishing, but they may work better on other lakes.  I only fish Upper Red.
« Last Edit: December 12/13/08, 06:27:32 PM by meadowcreek »
Greg

Professional Ice Fisherman on Sabatical, and
Home Grown Chicken Farmer  (The Good Kind)
Always willing to help any fisherman find a place to stay or point them in the right direction on Upper Red Lake.
218-647-8679