Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Roundup ready Alfalfa  (Read 2467 times)

Offline corny13

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 ROCKBASS CHAMPION 2014
 I was all excited this week to hear that Monsanto has released Roundup Ready Alfalfa again for this spring. :happy1:   Then with a little research on the computer looking for a cheaper price I FOUND OUT that you cant use it on food plots :cry:    Here is the quote from Food plot resources.

"In the case of RR alfalfa, a buyer has to sign a 2011 Monsanto Technology/Stewardship Agreement (MTSA). By signing this agreement, you state to follow all the management/stewardship rules outlined and described in the 2011 Monsanto Technology User Guide (TUG). In the TUG, it states that Roundup Ready alfalfa is not permitted to be used in wildlife feed plots. "

"This restriction exists in other Roundup Ready crops, so it's not unique to alfalfa. And the restriction is probably in place to avoid any mismanagement of the crop that could create cross-pollination problems with non-RR alfalfa fields, which would give the radical, anti-biotech crowd another reason to sue the agriculture industry. So we can't really disagree with the restriction, but it is still disappointing. 
Update on Roundup Ready Alfalfa "

Offline Dotch

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
I agree, however the odds of it happening as a result of someone's foodplot out in the sticks someplace are extremely remote. Monsanto has some of the best attorneys known to the industry though and they leave no stone unturned. Just ask the people from DuPont and Syngenta! Once again those who seem to think they know better than we do make it more difficult for all of us. Here is a link to a recent article on RR alfalfa from my CSA magazine:

https://www.agronomy.org/files/publications/csa-news/gm-alfalfa.pdf

Time itself is bought and sold, the spreading fear of growing old contains a thousand foolish games that we play. (Neil Young)

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
It is because monsanto cannot see or readily find where it is used. They cannot be sure that you are not using seed produced for a future crop. Monsanto has the patent on the seed so it is illegal to plant any seed produced on your property.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects