Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Bait Shops - What To Expect  (Read 2692 times)

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
So I went into the local east side bait shop tonight on my way out with the four girls I fished with last night. I had thoughts of heading to the same lake we had luck on last night but then figured I might stay closer to home. I asked the kid behind the counter for a scoop of minnows and asked if he knew of any lakes nearby that were producing panfish. Told him I didn't care about size, I had four kids with me that just wanted to catch fish. He told me Silver Lake had produced some. My mind went blank as to where it was so I asked. He said "No Clue". Really? You are telling me fish are biting at a lake but don't know where it is. So the other kid came in and I asked if he had been catching panfish on Silver. I had remembered by that time where it was. He said no but a few pike. I asked if he knew where any panfish were biting and he said yes. Then I got a blank stare. I said "Well????". His response "Oh, I don't give up spots".

Now here's my thing and maybe I'm spoiled. When I went to Dean at Everts or when I walk into Thorne Bros I could ask them where the fish are biting. These two shops will pull a map and pinpoint it for you if needed. Dean would tell you exactly what to use, how to use and exactly where they were biting. Thorne will put you on fish as well. I've been in Frankies and asked where they were biting and they generally do the same thing for the lakes in that area.

Now, I wasn't asking for exact spots, just a lake to take my kids and have some fun with fishing. I would expect a bait shop to give you a clue. This shop used to be like that and I know when the owner is in, it still is. However, these punks that are working behind the counter. I can take my $5 scoop of minnow purchases elsewhere. When I buy bait, I like to be treated as a good customer should be. If you don't wanna say where fish are biting, then get out of the bait shop business.

What are your thoughts?
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
I agree 100%.  But you should also take most advice with a grain of salt as some of the reports they get from fisherman are also BS. 
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
    I am still looking for the secret lake Idunno.  I got the same answer from every kid at the Walker bait shop for 2 yrs.  I tried the google and had no luck.  As soon as I find lake Idunno I may keep it to myself.  Interesting thing thing is they are also biting on a secret bait called a Idunno.  Guess what time is best--Idunno.   I have asked this same question for 10 years.    From now on I will ask where the hex is Lake Idunno.   :taz:
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline kenhuntin

• Master Outdoorsman
  • FISH CHAMP#1 2010#10 2009#4 2008 colapsed 2011
Bait shops with that kinda attitude will not and never have lasted too long. even if they are old establishments. the kids take over the old mans shop and forget where the bread comes from. It aint long before the lights get turned off.
A gun owner is a citizen
Those without are subjects

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
There use to be this gas station in town, well actually now that I think of it all the gas stations in town where they would wash your windows, check your oil and even put air in your tires. All you had to do was buy a buck of gas. Now you have to wash your own windows, check your own oil and if your tires are low you have to drive around to the air pump. When you are all done you have to go inside to pay. Why should a bait shop be any different? Point being stores sell goods not services these days. If the guys at the bait shop are working they very well can't be fishing. If no one is catching any fish then they can't tell the guys at the bait shop who will past the information on. When is the last time you went to a bait shop and told them where the fish are biting? Everyone and I mean everyone is pretty weak when it comes giving up spots to even their friends let alone to strangers or strangers who are going to tell other strangers. Part of fishing is finding fish and I don't know to many lakes that don't have any..

I was in a bait shop last summer where some guys came in and wanted to know where the fish were biting, what they were using to catch them on and what colors would be best to use in the evening. They then bought a few colored blades and the total came to like 4.96 they gave the kid who just spent the last ten minutes with them a five dollar bill and waited for change. You want to get information from a bait shop, go to the same one and tip them when you get your bait, they will remember you next time around. Some people call that service, I call that old fashion. ( and yes I worked in a bait shop in my youth and had a wholesale bait business)
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
Sandman, If you want small sunnies and blue gills, the lake right up the road from
will be good for kids. We take the granddaughter there and she has a ball. It all shore
fishing unless you have a non motorized watercraft.

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
Thanks Randy. The kids really want to use the boat though so we tend to do that.

Bobby, I hear where you're coming from. The problem is, there are bait shops that still give the advice. I will go out of my way to go to those. If folks are looking for tips to give advice then go get a waiter job. Bait shops are based on service. That's my feelings. And I do share with bait shops where I've been getting fish.
Friends are like buttcheeks..........crap might separate them, but they come together in the end.

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
 on the other side I never tell the bait shops where I'm at or whats working.. usually make something up and say the other side of the lake or a different lake all together. 
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline Bobby Bass

• Master Outdoorsman
Thanks Randy. The kids really want to use the boat though so we tend to do that.

Bobby, I hear where you're coming from. The problem is, there are bait shops that still give the advice. I will go out of my way to go to those. If folks are looking for tips to give advice then go get a waiter job. Bait shops are based on service. That's my feelings. And I do share with bait shops where I've been getting fish.
I never said they were working for tips I said if you want to be remembered give a tip. Good customers that are remembered get a little bigger dip of minnows and information, You guide, I am sure you don't turn down tips and sure remember who gave them to you. Or do you just take your fee?
Bobby Bass

Bud and now Barney working the trail again in front of me.

It is not how many years you live, it is how you lived your years!

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
When I go to a bait shop I really only expect one thing - bait. I always ask questions but I will admit my expectations for getting any useful information is pretty low. That being said. I think there is the potential to grow a relationship with the owner of a bait shop and perhaps eventually get some better information.

I had a friend in town a couple years ago who was visiting from Seattle. He went into Wayzata bait and said he was from out of town and hoping to find some fish for the day. They provided him with 10 times as much info as I have ever received there.

I had an amazing experience at a bait shop west of the cities. We were exploring some new lakes and bought some bait. Weather was lousy. I was with my son and a friend of his, I think they were both about 13. There happened to be a game warden in the shop and I started asking him questions. He probably spent 20 minutes with me and marked up maps for a half dozen area lakes.

Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline sandmannd

• Master Outdoorsman
    • Chasin' Tail Fishin
I haven't guided in a couple of years. Yea tips are nice. If you give service and someone wants to tip them, I'm fine with that. I don't like those that expect it. I never expected a tip no matter what service industry I was in but they were nice.

I base where I go and what I spend on service. I provide my customers with great service and expect the same. If I go out to eat and get lousy service, my business goes elsewhere. If I go to get my car fixed and they have crap service, I go somewhere else.

There is a reason I make a trip to Blane to get bait at tackle from Thorne Bros. Great service. You don't get that at Gander, Fleet Farm or whatnot. So my money goes where I get treated like my money counts there. They treat me the same if I go in to purchase $10 worth of tackle or if I'm buying a custom rod. There's other places like that and that's where I go.

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
    I am still looking for the secret lake Idunno.  I got the same answer from every kid at the Walker bait shop for 2 yrs.  I tried the google and had no luck.  As soon as I find lake Idunno I may keep it to myself.  Interesting thing thing is they are also biting on a secret bait called a Idunno.  Guess what time is best--Idunno.   I have asked this same question for 10 years.    From now on I will ask where the hex is Lake Idunno.   :taz:

Let me add a little to the lake Idunno story.  It's a huge lake.  I only asked because I wanted to get the reply.  The easy answer was the weather has been a steady wind out of the ----- for three days straight.  Find a shoreline where the wind is blowing in and you will find fish.  Leaches, crawlers and minnows all will work when you find them. Green, gold, silver are typically good colors for this lake.   All true ten years later.   Still the same answer today. it is no secret.   If I owned  that  bait shop the kid better spit it out and not expect a tip.  I may even hang a big sign over the door so the kid could point to it.  If I buy bait at your store and ask if anyone is having any luck I would expect something better than Idunno!   I'm in the store because I'm going fishing.  If they say it's slow I am still going.    Customer service is where it is at. 
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.