Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: what would you choose for varmint hunting .17hmr or.22lr  (Read 2317 times)

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
« Last Edit: February 02/05/08, 12:58:54 AM by repoman »

Offline Faceman

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Well I dont do any varmint hunting as of yet but I could get into it in the future. A buddy of mine owed me some money for some work I did for him and ended up giving me a Marlin bolt action 22 WMR. It was a fun shooter but had no real use for it. After about 2 months he really wanted it back and still had no money so I traded it back to him for his Henry lever action 22 that i wanted to start with. I will not get rid of that gun for anything. I have always wanted to try out a .17 cal but there again i have no real use for it yet so it is on the back burner for now along with the other guns I want.
Vegetarian: Old indian word for bad hunter.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
After reading all that I think my opinion stays the same. I'd go with the 22 WMR. I would push it out a bit further than 100 yds and if expecting shots furthur than 150 yds would go with my centerfire. Not that the 17 doesn't have merit. Just depends on the circumstances of the hunt, the hunter and the hunted.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline repoman

• Master Outdoorsman
  • take the shot
After reading all that I think my opinion stays the same. I'd go with the 22 WMR. I would push it out a bit further than 100 yds and if expecting shots furthur than 150 yds would go with my centerfire. Not that the 17 doesn't have merit. Just depends on the circumstances of the hunt, the hunter and the hunted.

yes sir i agree 100%  i mean if your gonna shoot a yote at 150yds + why wouldent i just go with a .223 or something ..i did break down though and buy a .17 the other day ill try it and see what happens though .. worse case scenario ill break down and just go buy a new 223 bolt action again  ;D

Offline remmy

• Minnow
  • i vote for SHAFT for 2008 pres
 if i had to choose pea shooters for yote unting , id say the 17hmr
LEROY BROWN