Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Fish house furnace needs repair, any one know some one who works on these?  (Read 2702 times)

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
I have a Cozy heater for my fish house, it is a 20,000 btu propane radiant heater.It seems that the pilot is not working or the snapper ignition isn't fireing it.

I tried to light it today with a lighter stick but it still wouldn't fire up.

My gas stove and oven work so I know I have gas left, resort owner said there was at least 40 lbs left in the 100 lb  tank.

Benny
"What we have here is a failure to communicate"

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
      Do you smell gas when you attempt to light it? :scratch:  Those snapper ignition switches seem to be the first thing to go on grills and such.  I would think you could light it with the lighter though.  If you have gas coming through you should be able to smell it.
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
No gas smell or any indication that there is any gas coming out of the furnace.
I had one of those long lighter sticks in there and it still didn't light.

Benny

Offline DDSBYDAY

• Master Outdoorsman
  • 2012 MNO Fishing Challenge Champion
    • Advanced Tackle Innovations
    The only suggestions I can make are      Be sure the gas shut off valve is on.  The pilot orifice can be clogged with dust.  (spray compressed air into pilot assembly) .  And often if the heater has not run for a while you can have air in the line.  Clear it by holding the lighting button in for a full 30 seconds to clean it out.  You should at some point smell gas.  I think the Kozy heaters have an automatic oxygen depletion shut off so if dust is blocking the air intake it won't light.  Again blow compressed air to clean it out.  Thats all I have for you.  I hope it is a simple fix.
Pai Mei tells the Godfather when it's time to tell Wayne  to pimp slap Eastwood.

Offline pikechaser

• Minnow
I 2nd that.....Try liteing by hand with a lighter.  Hold the button in fo a few minutes...if its been off all summer may need to purge the lines...if that still doesnt do it...probly need to disconnect pilot line & push button in & see if anything comes out of the valve going to the pilot...check pilot/orifice... :campfire:

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
I will have to hook it up to my 20 pounder here, I took it out of the house to get it fixed.

Do I have to have any pipe extention on the vent pipe or is it ok with just the elbo and the short pipe coming out of the heater?

I am thinking about just replacing it with an Empire to save space in the house but will need to cut a new vent hole and plug the one in the roof.

Benny

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
My son bought a used camper once and he couldn't get the heater to work. Had it checked out to find :oops1: that the wires to the battery were reversed. Therefore the fan ran backwards and blew out the pilot every time :bonk:
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline Benny

• Master Outdoorsman
This one is strictly radiant heat no electrics on it. I wish it was a blower style some times but the ceiling fan usually pushes the heat around when we used the milk househeater to take the chill off last spring.

Benny

Offline pikechaser

• Minnow
The Empires are tought to beat.  I have two of them & they have always been good to me.