Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: Trapline tales  (Read 20087 times)

Offline Super Star!

• Master Outdoorsman
    • www.skinsandfinstaxidermy.com
Griz do you use grables on some of your traps instead of stakeing them down. if you use grables im sure you have been on some wild goose chases to find them.. coon in trees makes for a fun retreval.. i use them in some spots and have tons of things happen.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Yes I use some grapples but I only use them in certain situations. Water can't be over 6" deep and must be lots of tall grass or catails around. I don't like to use near trees for that reason but yes I have been on a few wild goose chases. Nothing real interesting, just the time wasting stuff. I like them to be tangled up within 5 feet of where I caught them, just far enough away so they don't ruin the set.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
The big ugly swamp.

I headed out about 4:30 AM one morning to run some fox sets. My closest sets were nearly 40 miles away so being in a hurry to get there I turned onto the highway and stepped on the gas. :oops1: Accelerator stuck (was the first real cold we've had that yr). Well I was glad the thing was a stick shift so I figured by shifting into higher gears it would come unstuck.

My problem was my next turn was only an 1/8 mile down the road. So now that I'm going at a fair clip what do I do keep going down the highway or try and make the corner? Well figuring my turn just angled off a bit I decided to make the corner. Well as soon I hit the gravel I knew that was a mistake as I was about to head sideways into the steep ditch. Not something you really want to do in a shortbox 4 wheeldrive PU.

I turned the rig right into the swamp with nothing else to do. By the time the water and cattails slowed me down some I was far enough in that I knew I was stuck big time. Seeing a little ridge a ways in front of me I decided to stick it in 4 wheel drive and go for it(my hubs were always locked in when trappin). I wouldn't have done that except I seemed to actually going through this stuff in 2 wheel drive.(the cattails had about a foot of water) Lo and behold I kept going.

Just as I was getting to the little ridge the front end dropped. I floored it as water came up over the hood and windshield trying to get up on dry ground only about 10-15 feet away. Not to be so lucky. I had found the ditch that made that little ridge. I was figuring if I got on the ridge I could follow it back to the road. DA what was I thinkin I'd trapped that ditch b4 an should've remembered the ridge was on the far side. Anyhow there I sat kittywampus halfway up the ditch.

The water was about 6" deep on the passenger side and with the back end being further down, the back corner of the box was under water a good ways. Not taking the time to think, figuring the highway was fairly close I made the mistake of going through the ditch to the highway.

What seemed like a mile long walk I finally reached the highway. From the ditch to the highway was all cattails and water nearly knee deep. I was already getting cold too by the time I got there being wet from the bottom of my ribs down.

I tried to walk as fast as I could but that mile and a half walk and the cold were getting to me. I was hoping someone would come along as I just shook and teeth chattered. I tried to run a couple of times but my legs were so cold they started to burn to the point where I had a hard time keeping balance. Finally I reached town, good as my uncles place was only 6 long blocks away.

When I got to his place I just wanted someplace warm. I just walked into his back door not even realizing it was locked and went straight for the oil stove. (The back door went straight into his bedroom then down the hallway. His girl friend was over and I'm not sure they were sleeping. We have never even talked about it so who knows.)

He came to the living room where I sat by the stove and asked what happened. After telling him he brought me some dry clothes to put on. I sat for a few hrs just trying to warm up b4 we went out to access the next project, getting it out. He took one look and said there ain't enough chain in town to reach that rig. Better call the wrecker.

That is when I found out that 24hr towing meant after church was done. After church was done we went out there with the wrecker and he wasn't sure his cable would reach and said I would have to walk out there and hook it up. Back to town my uncle and I go to grab waders and all the chain I can get my hands on.

Pulling all the cable out and more than a few trips with chain I still came up about 10' short. At this point I was so tired from carrying all that chain through the swamp in chest waders I didn't want to make another one. I just remembered then I had a chain in the back of my truck and it was long enough to reach. After hooking it up he hollared he wanted me to help by letting it idle in low range.

He pulled me back through the ditch but not at the angle I went in, this was straight out. After getting through the ditch I idle through it faster than his winch could pull. He was hollaring something but I couldn't hear what. Turned out he now wanted to just pull me out so the cable would wind tight on the spool.

The next day at work a bunch of guys were talking about it b4 we started.(half a dozen of em seen the tracks) I never said a word as they discussed how that could happen. They gathered someone must have fell asleep with the foot to the floor. Then the last guy coming into work asked "Did you go in the ditch?" "Yea why?" I asked. "Noticed some cattails under ur truck" he said. Then they knew it was me. I could tell when he said"How the h*** did ya do that."

I still blame that big ugly swamp for being in my way.
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
    • Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Applause. Another great story.
Fawkinnae Sportsman's Club T-Shirts
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.
http://www.fawkinnae.com/
Find me on Facebook - http://tinyurl.com/6k5tkvv

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
OK this has noting to do with trapping. I does though involve a furbearer.

This was back when I was real young and dumb. We were on our annual family camping trip to enjoy 4-5 days of fishing, water ski, swim, cookin over campfire. Well basically nothin other than campin stuff. Every yr something happens that will be remembered for yrs to come.This time is no exception.

It started the first night we were there. Sittin around the fire roastin hotdogs and smores, when we heard a coon rustling in the brush. Well not wanting him to get at our coolers of food we ran into the brush yelling to scare him off. Then brought the coolers into the tents for further protection in the night. It came back one more time and we did the same thing to scrare it off, still not getting a look at it. This time it was rather late but we didn't have to worry about other campers as this spot is only big enough for one group and the only one on the lake.

The next mornin moms dog woke everyone at the crack of daylight barkin an growlin, trying to find her way out of the tent in the worst way. I jumped out of my tent to see what all the racket was about. Opon seeing the bandit first hand I hollared at my brother to get up, we'll go get him. Not having any kind of weapon and wanting to keep a safe distance we chose to scare it off by chasing and throwing rocks and wanting to keep a safe distance. We wanted to keep a safe distance for our coon turned out to be a skunk.

Well we must have chased it half way around the lake. A couple times the thing tried to spray us but being young, agile and quick we managed to get out of way before being hit by it. Half way around the lake we figured was far enough to get our point across about him being unwanted. Besides it crawled under a brush pile and we could no longer see it and not wanting to risk a surprise attack of spray, we went back to camp.

We got backto camp and mom said "jeeze I thought our tent smelled bad." Brother and I looked at each other like Huh, What?? Well when to dog went bonkers it must have scared the stink out of it as her tent was hit by a little spay. Brother and I also learned that you don't need to get hit by the spray in order to smell like the business end of a skunk. I really didn't notice that we smelled like it as the stink was so strong when it sprayed and not actually getting hit, we figured we were good to go.

Well we were glad of one thing. We had a real big tub to wash in and the water temp was pretty warm. We let our stinky clothes hang in the woods to air out for the rest of the trip. As for moms tent she had to sleep in it but with 4 days left by the time we headed for home would be aired out.

Packing everything up and heading home is never a fun part of the trip but everyone pitches in and has their duties so it gets done in an efficient manner. This time we were just glad to have had the time for everything to air out before packing up or we'd have to unpack and clean it when we got home.

On the way home as usual we stopped at bonanza to get a bite to eat (steak and all the shrimp you can eat) and I like shrimp. When the waitress brought us our food she did something unusual, she asked "would you be liking any more shrimp". Of course my reply was "yes prolly about 3 more baskets" She give me a puzzled look but said OK. Boy was I suprised about the time I finished my steak and srimp here she came with not 3 but 4 baskets of shrimp.

Now about this time we were starting to wonder if we might not smell like skunk. People seemed to be in a hurry to leave and nobody was sittin down near us. Well being growing boys bro and I were making short work out of them baskets of shrimp and motioned her for more shrimp b4 we run out. Instead of 1 basket like we asked for, she brought 3 baskets. WOW I'm thinkin she must really need some tips. Before she could leave mom asked her if she thought we smelled like skunk. Her reply was "was it that obvious I was trying to keep a distance." Mom said "I'll take that as a yes" She said "Honestly it's terrible"

Well that waitress did get a generous tip from mother. Yes and you guessed it everything got unpacked, washed and cleaned and aired out for a week when we got home. Including the dog which got a bath in tomato juice. Some friends still noticed the smell for a few days later even after all the cleaning.

FYI
A few yrs. later I started collecting skunk essense from the trapline. Now ur asking who the heck would buy that? I'll tell ya. The biggest buyers are perfume companies. This is something I feel compelled to tell women just to see their expression. ;D
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
The old rat slough

My best producing rat slough when I was younger was only bout 2-3 miles from home. It wasn't that big (bout 7acres) and was inside a pasture. Not only did it hold a bunch of rats but ducks as well. It didn't matter if it was early in the season or late, there were ducks in there. Early it was mallards and teal then later it was the scaup and other divers. I can't remember a time not getting a duck out of there.

I always approached the pond to check my sets from a different way depending on the wind as I wanted a shot at the ducks on my way in. I have many memorable times with this pond but one stands out.

This time the wind was out of the west which is the worst case. The weather was perfect for duck huntin, foggy, windy and slightly misty. I had to belly crawl across the gravel road and slide down behind the brush while avoiding the electric fence. This time worked out just as I'd hoped. When I stood up the ducks jumped and I got 2 drake mallards with the ol trapline gun.

Wading out in my hip boots I got the first one tossed it on shore. Then to get the other one. That wasn't as easy. Tippy toeing with the water 1/2" from the top of my boots I couldn't quit reach it with the barrel of my gun. One last stretch and alas I got the duck, as my waders filled up. Tossed it up on shore so I could get out and run traps.

Now it was easy to slide under the elec fence on the way in with the steep slope but getting out was a different deal. I had to go over the fence on the way out or get zapped forsure. It was made even more difficult by the fact my waders were full of extremely cold water.

This time I didn't fare the best. While stradleing the fence I lost my footing and slide down with that fence on the inside of my thigh, just above the wader. I can tell ya for a fact a fence gains more power when your waders are full of water. It seemed like forever getting out of that predicament, getting zapped many times. I finally ended up just grabbing the fence and pushing it down in the water as I tried to skate my way over the fence and back up that slippery bank with waders full of water.

I still trap there 25 yrs later and my trapping efforts are a bit more streamlined but for some reason the ducks aren't there like they used to be. Oh sometimes but it isn't everyday like it used to be. Well there isn't as many rats either but still worth going after.

BTW I've had many issues with this fence over the yrs but after that day I refuse to try and cross an electric fence with waders full of water.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Surprised by lil griz

I was settin my traps going down this windy gravel road one evening at bout 9:30 at night. As I go around on of the corners I see the eyes of a coon reflecting on the other side of a small pond. So I pull over next to the pond and decide to make a set figuring I might have him in the morning.

With my bait in one hand my trappin spade,stake and trap in the other I wasn't exactly skipping down that steep grassy bank in my chest waders in the dark. (Been the and wore out that t-shirt) Getting down to the water I find a nice spot for my set, so set my bait,stake and trap off to the side a couple feet. Comencing to make a set with the spade.

With all the hard winds a guy couldn't hear a thing. I use one of them lights you clamp on your hat for making a set so I must turn my head in order to see. Turning my head towards the bait there I see this said coon trying to thiev my bait right in front of me. Now I was a litlle surprised to say the least letting out a little ough or something like that. Well ok maybe it was a bit louder than that. Anyhow this must have scared the little coon as he went to runnin.

Now in yrs past I'd have taken off after this critter. Now nearing fiorty I knew from past experiences that me in waders on a steep slopes with tall grass was no match for a coon so thats as interesting as this story gets. I just continued to finish my set hoping to have him in the AM.

P S  This story is fairly recent as like about nine hrs ago.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Mayfly

• Master Outdoorsman
    • MNO
Griz is back!!  ;D

Good reading as usual. Thanks!

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Here is something happened a couple weeks ago out on the line with the boy.

It was towards the end of the line so he kinda lost his enthusiasim of walking down the banks to check the sets with me. Instead he watches from up top and when a catch is made he will dry it off in the grass while I crawl back up the bank.(Makes me wonder who is smarter)

Anyway this one stop we caught 2 mink one of which was alive and needed to be dispatched. After dispatching it I tossed it up to him while I was resetting the trap when he said "he's trying to bite me!" I said "Don't let him bite you I'm coming right up" Then he said "No I stand on his neck" I told him "I'm coming up" To which he said back "No get the other one I stand on his neck, see." He was holding it's tail in his hand is all I could see from my angle but appeared to be putting extra weight on his left foot.

So I figured it was OK but told him not to take his foot off the neck. I waded across the creek and quickly grabbed the other mink and reset the trap. I carried this one up with me even though it was drown just so it didn't distract the little tike from his little issue at hand.

Everthing worked out good when I got to the top I took care of the one that came to life. Then he dried them both off. We ended the day with 14 mink and all the way home he was talking about how he likes trapping and trapping is fun. At least he knew where to put his foot.

This pic is after thwe issue was taken care of.
« Last Edit: November 11/30/09, 01:46:19 AM by GRIZ »
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline huntingmaxima

• Outdoorsman
Great story and keep him interested.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Here's a short one.

I was out trappin leeches one very windy day with a mismatched pair of oars, one being 5' and the other 6'. (This was due toi the fact I lost one between there and the pond before it)

Anyhow I had to go to the bathroom really bad and not one around for quite a ways. It wasn't a deal where I could just stand up and go over the side either, I needed a tree to lean up against.

Well rowing against a strong wind to shore with mismatched oars wasn't speeding things up but I did manage to make it to shore in time. Sprinting to the nearest tree, I didn't know if I was going to be able to get my chest waders and everthing down in time. So I started to take the suspenders off ahead of time.

Well to make a long story short I got everything down in time. In the process of pulling things down, spinning around to lean against the tree my feet got tangled in the wader suspenders. In a motion that would be considered part run, part fall and the rest trip I managed to get my back against the tree without needing to get a new pair of shorts.

Problem was the tree bark took off some skin and gave me a scab on my tailbone that stayed for about 6 mo. The bruised tailbone it self stuck around for about twice that length.

Anyone know how hard it is to sleep with a bruised and scabbed over tailbone?

PS  I didn't use the readily available poison ivy as TP, I carried the TP with me in the boat .
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline jkcmj

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
My Dad got me started in trapping and hunting by buying us each a number of mouse traps, small leg hold traps, and a BB gun to share.  He offered us a bounty on varmints around the farm.  We would get a quarter for mice and sparrows, and a dollar for rats and pigeons.  This was quite an incentive, so we learned the skills well, and quickly ran out of money making opprotunities.

A few years later, after reading all the Frontier Dan story books in the school library, I convinced my Dad to buy me a dozen foothold traps and went to trap rabbits along the creek below our house. I started in mid winter and found many rabbit burrows along the thick brushed creek that were active. I just loved walking out in the freezing cold snow, hearing it crunch under my boots, and seeing my breath crystalizing on my eyelashes and eyebrows.  I often went out and checked traps after school and sports with only the moonlight to show the way.  I didn't know much about trapping, so I did what I thought would work, and in each burrow I put a foot trap as far down as I could reach, then threw in a hand full of corn for bait.  What I ended up with was 38 squirrels in the 1st week, but not one rabbit.  Since my Dad liked squirrels, my mother hated cooking them, and my luck or skills didn't improve, he pulled the plug on the rabbit trapping business.  Even though I never caught the rabbits, I was very excited by my 1st real trapping experience.  
« Last Edit: December 12/02/10, 07:04:51 AM by GRIZ »

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Great stories.  Years ago I did a bit of trapping on the farm mostly muskrats, gophers and ground hogs.  The equipment wasn't what's available today so it was a cold, wet adventure.  No waders so when you broke through the pond ice, it was a cold walk back home.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Many cold wet walks. Doesn't seem so bad at the time if ya got something, at least when I was younger. Now I carry spare change of clothes in the truck.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline beeker

• Master Outdoorsman
Griz..  these are a great read.

thanks.
If science fiction has taught me anything, it's that you can never have enough guns and ammo when the zombies come back to life... "WS"

Offline UplandObsession

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Great stories Griz, Hope you got some more on the way.

Offline UplandObsession

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Well I am guessing some people have read these before but I have been reading some other stories on another website all day. so here is the link. Enjoy, because I sure have.

http://www.trapperman.com/trapperman/trappers_tales.html

Offline Randy Kaar

• Master Outdoorsman
  • Randy aka bh
Hey Griz! We need more tales!

randy
Voted #1 Outdoors Website in MN ( www.mnoutdoorsman.com )!
bonehead149@yahoo.com
bonehead@mnoutdoorsman.com

Offline UplandObsession

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
who turned off the great story teller?!?!  :cry:

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Don't ask dumb ?'s

This was a typical day in late november but little windy. I had to pull some minnow traps outta a pond I'd raised suckers in.  Not allot of traps maybe 15 or so. I needed to get them pulled that day or they would be frozen in. It was about 10 degrees out that day and the only reason the pond wasn't froze already is the wind was keeping it open.

This pond was near the end of my fur line and I had time to get this done and check the rest of my line well before dark.

It was pretty dang cold in the wind but then when I was sheltered from the wind so was the water. That mean't busting ice. For those who have never tryed breaking ice with a flat bottom boat it don't work very well. The boat will just ride up on the ice then your motor hits the ice which isn't good. So I had to break the ice with my boot from the boat. Just was glad only a couple were like that.

Got half of them pulled and set up by the trailer. Went and got the other half. By this time I also had a pretty good load of minnows on. So I was going to hit the beach full throttle so I wouldn't have to pull it up on shore. As I got closer I just noticed a sheet of ice has drifted in my path. Turning the motor real quick and instead of it actually turning it just turned sideways but kept going toward the ice. When the front of the boat hit the ice it spun me completely backwards.

Well going backwards in a boat isn't fun at all. Boats are not designed to go backwards, at least not at a good rate of speed or while under full throttle.

What happened all kinda happened at once. The bait tank slid back putting too much weight in back by me. That resulted in the back end sitting a bit lower. The motor pushing the other way raising the front even more. The wind catching the front of the boat. Well the boat end up going completely over with the motor in the water.Glad the water was less that 3 feet deep.

Lost all my minnows, got very wet, motor took a couple breaths of water and my gear and equipment was scattered about. Pretty expensive accident if ya ask me.

Now I was real cold but did manage to flip the boat over and drag up on shore along with gathering my other equipment(after starting my truck as I wanted it to be warm when I got in it). Maybe took 5-10 min but felt like hrs as I was getting colder by the minute. I did think about getting the moter in the truck as I didn't want it freezing with lungs full of water. All the other stuff was left up on shore.

Only other thing I had to do was get my waders off and my wet cloths. Stripped right down to my shorts as I knew I wouldn't warm up if I kept them on. That heater wasn't blowing heat hot enough or fast enough to suit me. I have never since or before recall having such uncontrollable shivering and teeth chattering. I was cold.

I headed for home with one thought on my mind, that was a nice warm bath. The rest of my traps could wait til the next day but that bath was going to happen soon. Well as fast as I could get there anyway. Home was 20 long miles away but I was driving 80-85 to get there.

Finally I got home. Jumped outta the trunk in my still wet shorts an ran into the house. On the way to the bathroom to start the water I ran through the kitchen by the wife and said "d d don't ask d d dumb q q questions"
« Last Edit: February 02/21/11, 05:14:42 AM by GRIZ »
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline deadeye

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
Now that's a cool, well actually cold story.  Sure would have been nice to have a camera on you.  Sometimes it's good not to have any witnesses.
***I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.***

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
Thanks for sharing.  I feel your pain or cold which ever was worse.  Been there myself.
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
Faw-kinn-ae Griz. Thanks for another beauty.
Unique fishing, hunting, drinking and motorcycle t-shirts, caps, bumper stickers and more.

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
Griz-

You need to write a book on your adventures.  Great stories!  Keep em' coming.   :happy1:
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline UplandObsession

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Wonderful  :happy1: :happy1: :happy1:

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Here's one from this yr.

I was wading carefully down a creek one night. I had to be pretty careful as the bottom was awful rocky with a pretty good current. It didn't help that the batteries in my flashlight were not so strong.

Well feeling my way down the creek to where I had placed 2 sets the day before(it's funny how different things look at night) I couldn't find the one. I knew I was close but just couldn't locate it. Shining my dim flashlight around I spot a pair of eyes these from a coon up on the bank. Ah there it is.

So after feeling my way toward my set I'm set to dispatch him with the revolver. Before I can grab it he jumps off the bank at me and I really can't remember what happened but to the best of my recollection. Ithink I batted him with my left hand down into the water tried to get a swat in on his head with my trappin shovel. Only to miss and do nothing more than tick him off and break my shovel. While he was coming at me I grabbed him by the fur on the back of his neck so I could take care of him with what was left of my shovel. Only to miss again and hit my hand causeing my grip on him to let loose. He thought it might be safer trying to swim across the creek so taking off after him I trip over a rock(glad my waders come almost up to my armpit) but maneage to get ahold of his tail. This time when he turns around to come after me what's left of
my shovel finds it's mark.

He was a big ol boy an was quit a work out carrying up (as usual the deepest and steepest bank on my line). To make the load a bit heavier my other set also connected with a coon but a smaller one. By this time my flash light was dead so it was not easy. Then just about to the top a car pulls up behind my truck then on come the lights. Now I think I must have surprised the  the officer as she shur jumpped when she seen me come up outta the ditch. She was shineing her flash light all over my truck then turned around and there I was. She asked what I was doing and after spitting my flashlight outta my mouth I said "trapping" what you trapping I hold up the coon. My revolver still hanging outta my wader pocket she asks if I have a permit for that to which I said " don't need one it's not concealed". Well to make it short after a bit more ?ing she just reminded me the next stop to put my flashers onn when I pull off the side of the road.

« Last Edit: January 01/04/12, 03:42:02 AM by GRIZ »
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fawkinnae

• Executive Director
  • Master Outdoorsman
Griz that is a heck of a story!
I'm surprised you still have all your fingers after that battle.
« Last Edit: January 01/04/12, 08:54:36 AM by Fawkinnae »

Offline Lee Borgersen

• AKA "Smallmouthguide"
  • Pro-Staff
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2008-2011-2018-2019 2020 Fish Challenge Champ!
    • Lee's Lake Geneva Guide Service
Did you ever consider becoming a bounty hunter? It may be less dangerous. I would have craped my waders.

Nice :coffee:
Proud Member of the CWCS.
http://www.cwcs.org

Member of Walleyes For Tomorrow.
www.walleyesfortomorrow.org

Many BWCA Reports
http://leeslakegenevaguideservice.com/boundry_%2712.htm

If you help someone when they're in trouble, they will remember you when they're in trouble again

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Do to my puter posting problems the story wasn't complete. He never was in my trap. My trap was right where I thought it should have been. When I spotted the coon it was 20 feet further down stream. Things look awful different at night than in the day specially in an unfamiliar creek. And with a dim flashlight to boot. If he would have been in my trap he'd never have been able to reach me or try to swim across the river.

No I don't think he was sick but most animals act and react very different at night. They normally would run but I'm guessing there was something up on that bank he thought was worth defending. It could have been my bait he stole(my trap was snapped with nothing in it)or something else. Maybe it was the flashlight he didn't like. Big boar coon can often have a bit of attitude anyhow.

It's things like this that I refrain for bringing the boy out trappin with me in the dark. I don't want him to get scared of the dark or trapping cause of some ornery coon an a game of mortal combat in the dark. If he gets into trapping like I have he'll eventually have his stories but he'll be big enough to handle them.
~Thomas Jefferson