Recent

Check Out Our Forum Tab!

Click On The "Forum" Tab Under The Logo For More Content!
If you are using your phone, click on the menu, then select forum. Make sure you refresh the page!

The views of the poster, may not be the views of the website of "Minnesota Outdoorsman" therefore we are not liable for what our members post, they are solely responsible for what they post. They agreed to a user agreement when signing up to MNO.

Author Topic: snare trapping yotes.  (Read 3733 times)

Offline nic53

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
I made 10 snares the other day and want to try snaring yotes. This will be my first time so any tips or advice would be great! Most the land i will be trapping is cattail swamps along a river. One of my questions is how to fasten the trap with no trees or anything to wire it to? thanks everyone!
Nick

Offline lentz

• Master Outdoorsman
make a weight with concrete?
dont trap but think it would work

Offline Go Big Red!

• Master Outdoorsman
See if you can drive a metal rod or fence post down.  If not, may want to do that next spring when the ground thaws.
Take a kid hunting and fishing... It'll be the best thing for generations to come.

Offline naturalistmn

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
    • Eyes Wide Open
In cattails you'll have to use kill poles.   Not only do you not have anything to anchor to you also don't have anything for your support wire and whammy.   I could explain a kill pole but just google it so  you can actually see what one is.   Blend everything the BEST you can to avoid stall outs.   Another great thing to do, and I would if I were you, is to start a bait station.   Deer carcasses are best, but anything you can get a hold of will work.   Let them find it and begin making trails to the station.   Set the trails a ways back as to not ruin the station with a catch too close to it.   Good luck and keep me posted!!!
Shoot straight and give'em the shaft!

Offline nic53

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
If the catails are  thick a weight/drag could work. Also one could support the snare with a piece of wire bent to a sideways s and wired firmly to a thick clump of cattails.

I have never used a wammy but some really like them and others think it's just more stuff to cluter up a prefectly functional snare. Why I havn't tried them is just "if it works don't fix it mentality".
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
So any luck yet?
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first."
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline nic53

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
No luck with the yotes yet but yesterday had a a nice coon weighed 28lbs! I was happy with it being first animal caught with a snare!

Offline nic53

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Here is the first catch. thats a 7gal. bucket.
« Last Edit: January 01/01/12, 07:03:13 PM by nic53 »

Offline dakids

• MNO Moderator
  • Master Outdoorsman
  • 2013 MNO Fishing Challenge Champ!
That there is a coonzilla.  Very nice!!!
Anything that is free is worth saving up for.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Did you ever weight that coon?
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline nic53

• Xtreme Outdoorsman

Offline nic53

• Xtreme Outdoorsman
Finally snared a fox! Was still alive when I got to trap.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
Nice. Hard to tell in the pic but it don't seem to be rubbed. Looks like a pretty good one.
~Thomas Jefferson

Offline kid #1

• Outdoorsman
He looks pretty.  We have coyotes that have come into our yard in town.  I would like to trap them without catching my cat.  will snares also catch cats?
Make your first shot count, it might be the only one you get.

Offline GRIZ

• Master Outdoorsman
They could catch a cat but if they are set with a loop for a coyote I doubt it.
~Thomas Jefferson